Goodies, goodness, buying gifts for others, watching holiday movies nonstop, watching the snow fall and going ice skating. It all seems so perfect.
As I've grown up, I've discovered more and more that I try to force a perfect Christmas on myself.
It starts to morph into pressure to create the perfect kind of Christmas.
A lot of times when we are on break, we tend to threaten Christmas with ruin when things don't turn out all merry the way we expected them to.
Sometimes the cheer of the holidays can cover up a controlling heart trying to achieve selfish dreams.
Release the pressure.
There is a quote from Jon Bloom that says, "Christmas is not about fulfilling our holiday expectations. It's about celebrating Jesus's overwhelming accomplishment for us and following in his humble servant footsteps."
Try to think about it for a moment: what if all of the sudden, all of the things, peppermint mochas, gifts around the tree, what if all of those were taken away?
It wouldn't feel like Christmas at all, if I'm completely honest. Yet at the same time, we have everything we need to celebrate Christmas.
Don't try to achieve a perfect Christmas, but maybe this year, you can let it come naturally. Let the praise from the Holiday fill you with perfect joy found in Christ.
1. Invite friends over and do fun activities
For most of us, this probably isn't a problem. For me, I definitely love being around close friends, but this year, if you're like me, maybe you can step outside and invite some friends you don't know as well. Expand your horizons. Hospitality reflects the message of the gospel, and Christmas parties are a huge hit anyways :)
2. "It is more blessed to give than receive".
I've found myself being very selfish in not spending too much money on certain things. This holiday season, spend that extra $5 to give someone something or to host a party. $5 is not going to kill you and when you focus on giving to others, it will bring true joy.
3. Focus on others, not just yourself.
Often we get self absorbed, no matter what holiday it is. But when you are joyful and go with the flow of circumstances around you, you will be a happier person. So try to look beyond yourself this Christmas season, but please, do take time to have that peppermint hot chocolate and watch a few Christmas movies :) We are blessed to have those opportunities, so make the most of them!
what plans do you have this Christmas season?

LAUREN. Oh goodness, yes. I was totally in need of this reminder so thank you so much. It was on my mind last night and keeping me from sleep. It's not good to dwell on things like that. So yeah. Thank you. ♥
ReplyDeletebeautiful<3
ReplyDeletethis Christmas I plan to spend it with my family. Im going over to my dads the week before Christmas to celebrate with his family, but Christmas day with my mom and siblings.
I hope you have a lovely winter break :)
I really appreciated this Lauren! I enjoy many of the things about Christmas but I really need to refocus. Christmas is not about me, it's about my Savior--who I can serve by serving others.
ReplyDeleteI don't have any special plans for Christmas. Just getting together with family I think!
You have no idea how much I needed to hear this. What you said about the pressure of breaks and especially Christmas describes me so very much. But your words, and especially that quote, brought freedom and clarity! Thank you so much for posting!
ReplyDelete