December 26, 2015

Some Places have your heart

This past week, my family took a little trip to Chicago for a couple of days. Now my family doesn't really go on city trips that often just because my family isn't your classic "city" family, but it was a great experience (Hotel rates are also cheaper around Christmas time because there aren't as many business travelers). Have you ever just been to a place where it completely captured your heart? A place where you just know a part of your heart was left there and you made such incredible memories that will stay with you forever?  As much as I truly did enjoy Chicago, this was not one of those places for me. The city is a really fun experience, and I really love shopping, eating out and some of the luxuries that come with spending time in the city. But I think that spending time in the creation of our amazing God with some incredible people is what has captured my heart, not only the mountains in Tennessee, but also the ones in Utah. When I took a missions trip out there in the summer of 2014, the mountains in Utah sealed the deal for me that I adore mountains, no matter what part of the country they are in. For me, something about mountains gets me excited. Seriously. It's something about the freedom, the feeling and just the experience. I don't really know exactly how to describe it, but for me, that is something worth a long car ride for.  
I really enjoy hiking and seeing all of the wonderful waterfalls that are in the national parks in both locations of mountains. But I believe it is something more than just that. 
The mountains even from distance are pointing to a creator...something had to have created something so majestic. 
The city, I love it. But to me, the city is filled with more commercialism and almost represents how sin has corrupted the world. Not that the city in itself is corrupt, but it is harder to see God's beauty in it. See, even Pigeon Forge/Galtinburg have an amazing shopping area with some of the most awesome outlet malls and the coolest mini golf attractions. It just looks so cool. Something about that has appealed to my heart so much more than the city. The south and the culture warms my heart and I LOVE hearing the southern accents. Everybody down south seems a little more friendly and hospitable.   


Maybe it's the south that has my heart. Maybe it is the mountains. Maybe it is being able to really be in God's creation. 
I think it truly is a mix of all of those things. But I tell you what: when someone tells me I'm going to Galtinburg and Pigeon Forge Tennessee, girl, I get excited alright. 

What place has captured your heart? 

12 comments:

  1. Aww you were here?! Im in Chicago :) I love it here honestly. and the city is just gorgeous! Although, I think Im with you about Tennessee. Ive gone there every summer the past 3 years and Memphis stole my heart. Im in love with that place.
    I hope you had a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicago is great! It's a city that I have been in before, and I love it! But like you said, it can show how sin has corrupted the world. Luckily, though I live in one of the cities in my state, it coexists with nature-- you can't go down on block without going pass a park, bog trail, river! ^.^ Whoop whoop AK! ^.^

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Chicago and I'm not sure if I want to go! I've been to enough other big cities (though non quite as large as Chicago) to know that I don't care for them. I'm with you-I'd rather be out in God's creation!
    I live in the South too, and love the rolling hills and friendliness of the people. However the stunning Colorado mountains captured my heart two years ago. I haven't even had a chance to go back and visit them but I think, someday, I would like to like there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Chicago, and i'd love to go there. personally, i love the hustle and bustle of just being in the city, merging with the rush of life. but the real deal for me is the country life. i love waking up to sunshine pouring in my face, acres and acres of beautiful land, and like you said, the mountains. i agree with you so much. the rural and the mountains and nature point back to Christ so much and that's what's beautiful and important.
    also, i mean, Jesus CHRIST was born in a stable in rural Bethlehem. like yeah. cool.
    anyways, lovely post <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Chicago, but I'd love to one day.
    I simply adore your posts lately, Lauren. And, if it's possible, I'd love to do an interview with you on my blog. (not sure if I already asked about this, so sorry if I have)
    A place that has my heart is Oregon. I want so badly to live there one day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just like the last three comments, I haven't been to Chicago either, or any big city really, that I remember. I live deep in the country, and love it. I also love mountains, almost as much as my sister. We don't have mountains here, but we get to see them every year when we go to Tennessee for BWSC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cities can be kinda crazy! I'm a smalltown/nature girl myself, so I'm totally with you. I adore the mountains. The mountains are home and that's that! I think the reason why I don't like cities (other than the reasons you stated, which are so true as well) is that, being a serious auditory learner, it's basically sensory overload. There's soooo much going on, so many people, so many lives and conversations and things to do and places to be....it makes my head spin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spent a few days in NY with school a couple years ago, and it was fun, but I love the mountains. Also, I LOVE the south, and I do have a southern accent! South Carolina's mountains are awesome, and I have loved growing up here. This was a fun post to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love Pigeon Forge! Have you ever been to Dolly Wood? My family lived in Tennessee for a year while my dad went to Bible Collage! Tennessee is defiantly my favorite state! Its so green and beautiful all year round! I have never really visited any big cities, but this spring my choir is going to be singing in New York City and I'm so excited to go!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MAN I LOVED THIS POSTTTTTTT. i seriously can't tell you. i'm a mountain girl through and through, but the sound of chicago's name gives me chills. hope you had a blast, babe. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE THE MOUNTAINS SO MUCH. but cities give me sparkling eyes and laughter. it's like how i like my hot chocolate. a lot of mountains with a pinch of city. *cracks up* Lovely post, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES YES YES.
    my heart belongs to my home, singapore, where my family is. it's hard for me to see any other place as home when my family isn't there ((i know, i'm a dependent little baby bird HAHA)). but, when i visited UK a few weeks ago, I ADORED IT TOO. the quaint buildings and the gorgeous scenery blew me away. great post, lauren!! xx

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥