I am so incredibly selfish. I want things for myself. I want people to like me and want to gravitate towards me. I want people to look at me and say I wish I was her. A lot of times I care a lot more about myself than other people. I judge people as if I am somehow better than them and I often live my life in a way so that I can gain happiness in as many ways as possible.
I complain about so many things. I am sarcastic with my words and I often hurt people with my actions. I often don't look at my life situation with happiness and joy for all God has given me. I look at things in life and complain. I am sarcastic with people because it often gets more attention than being silent. Oh, how I struggle to just be quiet sometimes.
I want attention. I want to be felt loved by other people around me and I often let my emotions dictate my actions. When I feel a certain way about someone, I will let that cause me to give them the silent treatment or to use a sarcastic tone with them.
But I am ever so slowly being formed and shaped by God into more of a selfless person. I don't die to myself. I love myself more than I want to follow God. It's a daily fight to live a life glorifying to God because there are so many areas where it is easier to just give into our selfish instincts. I don't usually have a heart that wants to praise God every minute of my life. Sometimes I would rather stay in my self pity because it "feels" better. He, however, is our strength and portion. He is the only reason that I can fight my own pride.
When we look to Him instead of other people, instead of ourselves and instead of what we feel is right, then we will become wiser in Him.
Psalm 28:7: The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.



I relate to this so much. thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeletei got this dude. i'm nothing. but He is so much more than everything. love ya, kid. xx
ReplyDeleteI can relate. I often feel selfish because I want to be broken, I want others to love me. I don't want to end up lonely all my life.
ReplyDeleteAllie D.
www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
www.sevenbloggersandtheirdolls.blogspot.com
www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com
wow. yeah. this. this is me.
ReplyDeletethanks for writing this, lauren <3
Yes!! I can so relate. Thanks you for writing this. :)
ReplyDeleteNabila // Hot Town Cool Girl
this is amazing. I relate so so so so much.
ReplyDeletethank you for writing this.
xx.Soph//Light of the World
pretty much everything that you said.
ReplyDeletePRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING THAT YOU SAID!
Every post of yours contains a rawness and yet a wisdom that I do gravitate towards, but not because of you (no offense) but because you let Christ shine through you in a real and relatable way.
So I encourage you in this.
I also encourage you to discover the freedom of self forgetfulness (which is the title of a book by Piper that I recommend highly). I'm discovering this summer that when I'm not thinking about myself, I become more truly who God created me to be. I have a joy that I can't get from serving myself. It is hard to get there, to this place of service and true humility, but once we're there, we will find that it is beautiful.
Great post as always! Let's keep our eyes on Jesus!
me. me. me. me.
ReplyDeleteyou're literally so gorgeous!
Oh, Lauren, isn't it wonderful that it's not about who we are, but who He is? I am also a saved sinner and my gratitude is huge, yet I still fall back to my old ways time and time again. And my God tells me not to give up, that there is hope, that He is my hope.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post. It is encouraging to know I'm not the only one struggling with this.
By the way, you're a stunner.
-T. x
I think we're all struggle with selfishness; it is part of our fallen nature. But God loves us anyway because we are His. When He sees us, He doesn't focus on our sin and shame. Instead, He sees one of His children who have been forgiven and made new. Keep leaning on His strength and remember that you are precious in His sight. Thanks for the post!
ReplyDeleteThank you for following my blog by the way xx