December 12, 2016

what it's like working at a daycare

As many of you know, I found a job over the summer working at a daycare. Of course, I had a connection to it through my older cousins and a few church friends who had worked there before me. Having some people who had worked there before helped me be able to 1) know what to expect and 2) be prepared for some of the challenges that come with working at a daycare.
So I really haven't gone super in depth about what working and having a job has been like for me. and today, I wanted to write and reflect about the past six months and my work with children. 




It has grown me as a person. 
I have had to learn how to deal with stressful situations, children who don't listen and poopy explosions. I've also had to learn how to communicate with children in a healthy way and also with their parents. It has caused me to become more comfortable around people that I've never met before and this job experience will be awesome to put on a resume someday. I've also had to learn how to deal with coworkers who don't do their job and also to communicate with my boss about contacting me and availability.  There's a lot of areas that I can still continue to improve and grow in, but I can already see where I have learned so much.
I've learned to love the joys of working with children.
Yes, there are so many moments that occurred at the daycare that I will always treasure. I'm not sure that a fast food job or a job in a retail store would give me the precious memories as I have gained from working with kids. There is a little boy who is so adorable and has captured my heart and every time he sees me, he gives me a huge hug and there is always a kid who cracks me up, as he always compares me to my cousin Ben, who used to work there. The kids are truly blessings to work with, most of the time. When all of the kids in your room decide to run out of the gym during free time, turn the lights off and start screaming all while someone's mom is in the room; I become stressed out because it can cause me to look like I can't control them. A blowout from a toddler can be a disgusting experience to deal with. Having half the kids in your class starting getting upset because they aren't "it" in a game can be difficult to work through. But all of these things are nothing in comparison to the little moments of joy that I have with them. 
I've learned why I need to continue to pursue my college education 
If anything, working at a daycare has made me realize why working with kids is not what I want to do with the rest of my life. I think of this job as a momentary job experience that I have for a year or so in order to get experience and also to get money for college. I definitely do not see working at a daycare something I want to continue for the rest of my life, and so continuing to get closer to figuring out what I want to do in college and working hard in high school is a step closer to not working at a daycare anymore. It's a motivation to be diligent in everything I do. 



What kind of job do you have/do you wish to have? What have you learned from it?

10 comments:

  1. thats awesome. working with kids is stressful. (I have 7 younger siblings and most of the time I want to pull my hair out from the stress. so major applause for you for being able to handle it. lol.) but that must be an adventure. haha. my brother worked at a summer camp this year and he always came back with the craziest stories.

    Its so great when you get a job in the field you want to work in the rest of your life. its the honest, best feeling. Im so glad God gave you that amazing opportunity <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I can have as many as 12 kids in my classroom, and that is quite stressful sometimes! It lets time go by a lot faster though.
      And yes, I seriously have some crazy stories and I've been there for six months XD

      I can't wait to start working in my field of writing! I think it will be awesome to go from something that isn't quite my passion to something that IS my passion.

      Delete
  2. JUST LET ME SAY! I don't think I could do what you are doing. AH that is seriously so amazing and I am glad to hear you are learning from all of this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3 I think it's definitely not for everyone. I know it's not something I want to do for very much longer!!

      Delete
  3. The children randomly turning off the lights?! I've been there, Lauren. I know the struggle. ;) I've been working at a preschool/daycare for two years now, and I loovvvveee it! I'm sure we both have so many stories from the kids we work with. Once one of the children was upset because no one would sit by her and she felt lonely. The teacher told her that Jesus was always with her so she was never alone. The child had the meanest look on her face after that. Goodness, preschool drama. ;) Some days are crazy, but I know I've found the perfect career for me. I am currently a freshman in college and am going for Early Childhood Education. I hope through this job, you are able to find your calling as well. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you love it! I really enjoy it but I wouldn't say it's my passion. It's really awesome that it is your passion though, because where would we be without people who care for children?
      SERIOUSLY THOUGH. Preschool drama and life is apparently very real.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE kids so much, and usually get along with them really well, but I feel like working at a daycare would be pretty stressful. I enjoy my babysitting job, but I imagine it's much easier than what you do. Good job. :) I think it would be really cool to have a job in the future working with kids, but I don't know what that would lo like, other then being a mom, which I know I want to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty stressful sometimes, but I think I enjoy it so much more than any other type of job. (except for the jobs you can get with college experience obviously).
      But it's good that you know you want to be a mom! God will really bless you in that area somehow!

      Delete
  5. Kids are so fun and I know from experience - I have five younger siblings and helped out for about two years in my church's nursery before becoming a Sunday School teacher. I applaud you because so many people I know don't take enough time to be around kids! ♥

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥