February 11, 2017

Why I don't watch the Bachelor(ette)

I understand that their may be a lot of Bachelor lovers out there, so be forewarned. This entire post is my personal opinion of the show and why I don't like it. It's your own personal decision whether you decide to watch it and you may have different personal convictions than me, but I feel strongly against the sexual component and the jealously/bitterness that is heavily apparent throughout the entire show. I hope by this you will be challenged to think about why this show is perhaps not the best thing to watch.






I made a decision that I'll never make again: to watch snippets of the Bachelor.
The Bachelor rubbed me in the wrong way, and I don't know if it's just because of the atmosphere surrounding the season, but it was so sexually driven.
What I witnessed in 10 minutes or less that I watched?

Half naked people.
Making out.
Jealously, bitterness and hatred between the women competing for the guy's attention.
Betrayal.
Pride in the attitudes of the women, and the guy for that matter.

My friends: sexuality, porn and everything in between is becoming so normalized in our society that it actually makes me sick. My testimony ties in perfectly with this because I have struggled with watching things that I believe were not honorable to God.
I believe that this show and shows that glorify making out, half naked people and a man giving himself away to thirty plus women do not align with what is honorable and pure.

I know there is a very real difference between being aware of things in our society and having knowledge about our culture versus actually partaking in it, but I think that is extremely important to not allow ourselves to get caught up in watching shows like this just because people around us are watching them. Part of the reason I wanted to watch this show in the first place was because of all the buzz about it from my friends.
 So let me just step aside from the issue of sexuality that I see in this show and think about the idea surrounding this show as a whole.
How can love be found in an atmosphere such as the bachelor(ette)?

Love is not a competition. Love is not doing things for sole purpose of getting attention. Love is not changing yourself to win love. Love is not based on the outfit you wear (or don't wear apparently) and how a guy thinks of you in it.
Love is deeper than that, and it's so sad to see a show that portrays love as cheap, a competition and all about oneself.

I would encourage you, if you do watch it, to think about it for just a moment.
Is this what you want to be spending your Monday evenings doing?

There is so much envy, pride, greed and a lack of self control in regards to emotions in this show. As a follower of Christ, I have decided that this is something I am going to avoid watching.



3 comments:

  1. OMW Lauren. This is just awesome.
    My co-workers at work all watch this show, and have been telling me all about it. I find it disgusting. It really is sad that our society has portrayed love that way. What you said here just nails it.
    Love is not a competition. Love is not doing things for sole purpose of getting attention. Love is not changing yourself to win love. Love is not based on the outfit you wear (or don't wear apparently) and how a guy thinks of you in it.
    Love is deeper than that, and it's so sad to see a show that portrays love as cheap, a competition and all about oneself.
    Go you for standing up for your opinions!
    -Clara <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY. i'm really really proud of you. man, i'm pretty sure i've never heard of the bachelorette show thing. but, i think you're standing firm in Christ. and that is precious. be bold with the hard words. the good words. but be gentle.
    laughing because God is good yo. x eyes on Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    First, I didn't know that in your counrty this tv show also exist. I'm German and thought that it's a wicked silly idea for our German TV, because of they have to fill the prime time with a lot of advertising.
    To be honest, I sometimes watch it only for the reason for asking why? I mean, what's the idea behind this show, a (wo)man and candidates which want to conquer the heart of the (wo)man. In addition to that (in German tv) the (wo)man is mostly not really the dream of beauty. The question why? Why does people participate? (ok, why watching - sometimes ther worse tv shows in this time and you wouldn't like to stand up of the sofa) In my eyes the most tv shows goes crazy, they only want something they can market in a silly way.
    Love,Lea

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥