Just this year I decided to join the bandwagon and start writing letters to my future husband.
Why, you ask?
There is a lot of value in honoring your husband and pouring into marriage before you even meet him.
By letting him know in these letters that you're specifically praying for him, he will be able to see how God has been at work in your heart before you even met him.
But what if I don't get married?
This is most definitely a possibility, but I do believe that most women do get married, maybe more do than those who don't. However we are getting into a time period where getting married may become less and less common. If I don't end up getting married, these will be precious treasures of the time I devoted to prayer and milestones I've hit in my life.
However, don't idolize the thought of marriage. Focus on the spiritual.
It's important to remember that you cannot idolize this future person that you may or may not meet. We need to live a life with a future in mind, as we honor a man and remain faithful to him even though we haven't met him yet. We can't put all of our hopes and dreams into marriage ultimately; our ultimate goal must be to glorify Jesus Christ.
Don't let these letters become fantasy or romance novels, include scripture that will bless you as you write them and him when he opens them in the future.
Current happenings would be awesome to include in these letters because it would be awesome to look back and see how you were honoring your husband before you even met him. It would be awesome to see how God was working in your life even then.
And nobody ever knows how much power comes from prayer. Your husband could be seriously be affected by your prayers right now. You.Never.Know.
To be honest, I don't write actual "letters" but I just write them in a journal. That way, I never risk loosing them. But I'm extremely excited that I have started doing this, and I think you should consider it as well.
Do you write letters to your husband? If so, when did you start?
What tips would you have for other girls that would want to start writing letters?

This is so neat! Yes, I admit it, I did write a letter once when I was 12 to my future husband, but I found it again and read it about two months ago and it was sooooo weird, I was super poetic. It wasn't mushy or anything, but man...it was horribly written. XD I might try it again though!!
ReplyDeleteyo hollaaaaa. i write letters to so many people, but they're the quiet surrender ones. the ones i keep because i know they're not meant to go out into the world. God is crazy good, yeah? i feel it in the depths of my soul.
ReplyDeletekeep writing those letters to him, girlie.
xxx
This is such a good idea! To be honest...I already know who I'm going to marry, and we're most likely going to be married within two years. This gets me excited. I really want to try this. :)
ReplyDelete"It's important to remember that you cannot idolize this future person that you may or may not meet."
ReplyDelete^ YES. So true! This was something I wish I had known earlier, because I often thought of this future husband as some kind of perfect person for a while. Now I know that he will be a flawed human, just like me. But I do think that writing letters to your future dude can be super beneficial. I know that it has helped me get into the habit of praying for him regularly and coming before the Lord on his behalf. :)