January 16, 2016

5 Steps to writing an encouraging letter


1. Choose who you want to encourage. 
Is there someone in your life that you can thank, encourage during a hard time or is there someone on your heart today? Pick a few people (or just start with one!) that you want to write a letter to. Then plan out a time so that you can make sure that the card-writing happens.

2. Examine your motives for writing the letter.
Satan literally uses everything to try to sway your motives away from God. Are you writing this letter in order to get something out of someone? Why don't you want to write that letter for someone? Pray and ask that God would take any sinful thoughts of your mind while writing these cards.

3. Be specific in your letter.
Don't just say you are praying for the person, specifically mention what you are praying for them, especially if they are going through a hard time. If you are saying you are praying for someone, do it right then. Other things you can address specifically include the following things.
What do you appreciate about the person specifically? Why are you grateful for their friendship?
Maybe you can even include a few specific verses for some things that you know they are struggling with or you know would just be encouraging to them.

4. Hand write your cards and keep 'em short. 
Depending on how close you are to the person and how well you know them, you will know whether or not they would actually appreciate a super long card. Usually people are more willing to read a short letter than a six paged letter.
Handwritten letters mean a lot more than typed cards. Take some time to write out your thoughts in a handwritten manner. It means a lot more to the person receiving it.

5. Have cards and stamps in stock 
Maybe you can invest in some cute cards or ask for some for your birthday. Using lined paper is still super special, but there is something sweet about cute card-stock. It doesn't matter if your cards aren't Pinterest worthy because it isn't about making you look good.


For who can you write an encouraging letter to today? 

13 comments:

  1. Great steps! I'll have to find someone to write to! :)

    Allie D.
    www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
    www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
    www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
    www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post! I've tried to write an encouraging letters to people several times, but its hard to know what to say:) This was very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad you found this helpful! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. I'll be totally honest with you and say that when I saw the title of this post in my reading list or whatever you call it, I was like, "hey, that my thing!" but that's very selfish, and you did a good job, haha. Number 4 especially caught me attention, because unless I"m writing to someone I barely know, I have a suuuper hard time keeping my letters short. And because of my letter writing (I think), I also have a hard time keeping my comments and whatnot short as well! Also I have to commend you on your statement that handwritten cards mean a lot more than typed cards! So true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? haha that's funny and something I would do too.
      I'm glad you still chose to read :) I'm very selfish too, ugh it's frustrating XD

      Delete
  4. This is so great- I love giving people handwritten notes! At a competition I attended last year, we had a giant box of stationary sitting on our practice piano, and people would write each other notes and slip them into their bags or set them on their chair, just to give a bit of a pick-me-up. It was so much fun haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is such an awesome thing :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. This is such a cool thing to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i adore this idea! i put it down on my resolution to write notes or send people encouraging stuff (i was thinking more by text messaging) but it's so much sweeter (not to mention fun-er!) to receive a package of sweet letters by mail. ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is awesome. one of my friend's moms was just diagnosed with cancer, and is spending the next month in the hospital. i was wondering how i could encourage them, and this is a great way to do it :)

    xoxo,
    m.

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥