January 1, 2016

Making January Happen

Besides January being the month of "new beginnings", it also happens to be the month where the gym membership attendance spikes for two weeks and then turns downward afterwards.
The good news: it is a good time to refocus and start anew, with a plan for what your year is going to look like.
The bad news: it is easy to get caught up in new years resolutions that don't last for the entire year and you only have motivation to do them for the first 5 weeks of the year.

There is nothing special about January 1. Yes, it's the start of a new year, but this year's goals are not about perfection. It's about progress. February 1 can bring completely new goals than what you started out with in January.
So being that it's a new year in everything...I am gonna make 2016 happen. One month at a time.
Each month we will go back, review the progress from the past month, and make new goals for the coming month. I wanna make these goals happen, ya'll. I am naming 2016 as my year of victory. It is the year of victory because I am going to be intentional about growing closer to my Savior, which will as a result, bleed into every other aspect of my life. Because I have not been growing in my relationship with Christ, I struggled a lot with my time on the internet and that not being spent wisely and not always honoring to the Lord. During 2016, I want to go back and share that journey with you more in depth and how this year I believe will be the first complete year with victory over this sin. In short: I wasted a lot of valuable time and I have a lot of regrets in that area: but God has forgiven me of my sin, however, that means I should not go back into it. I believe that in God's strength, not my own, He will allow 2016 to be my victory year: where I do not fall into this sin because I have been freed from it.


January Goals:
1. Start 2 Bible studies with two of my friends separately and constantly meet up with them every Monday/Tuesday. I want to start out this year diving into God's word on my own, but also with other people. Accountability, prayer partners and learning from others is also very important aspect of this journey. We aren't called to live this journey alone: God has given us a community of believers for a reason. 
2. Read 2 Books. Some of my top title choices that I'm interested in reading include Choosing to See, Seven, Every Bitter Thing is Sweet, Writing in the Margins and Home of our Hearts. I haven't been reading as much recently, and I want to gain that back. Whichever 3 books I don't get too, I'll put those titles under the reading goal for next month.
3. Read from God's word every single day this month. I should do devotionals everyday of the entire year, but I think that can become closer to happening if we take it a month at a time. I want to be intentional about not wasting time, but rather using that time for things that have eternal benefits, and this is one of the ways I am going to do it (along with Bible studies). It's crazy ya'll, we are so blessed with a Bible in this country, but we take it for granted.
4. Memorize scripture. This month, I want to memorize some verses. Three verses seems doable, don't you think, to start out? Any suggestions on what I should memorize?
5. Write a 5 day devotional series. Not sure how this could look/will look, but I want to be creative with this. Maybe just maybe I can also do something with this collection on my blog. I'm not sure the theme, the content or anything yet. I just want to pray and see how this opportunity could be used by God.
6. Bake/create a dessert I've pinned on pinterest. I really love food and dessert, so why not take the opportunity to make something to enjoy? Sounds good to me, I just need to do it. Follow me on pinterest here!
7. Hit 90 followers. I would really really love it if I could make it to 90 followers here on Victory this month. I will be intentional about finding other blogs and putting my blog out there. If you enjoy what you read and would like to share it with others, feel free!



What do you want to make happen in January? 

17 comments:

  1. lovin the new design :)
    this sounds like an awesome idea! can't wait to hear more <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these goals :) and I REALLY love the idea of renewing them monthly. I think I might try that. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, it allows you to make monthly progress and start over even if you didn't completely accomplish the goal!

      Delete
  3. OOOOOOH THE NEW DESIGN IS SO PRETTYYYYY! Wow, I love it so much. And I love the new concept of the blog. And I LOVE "Making 2016 Happen". This is exciting. :-D

    Oh, Choosing to SEE is one of the best books ever. Soooo good. I wept.

    Memorizing scripture is sooooo beneficial. Seriously. I just started actually being serious about it last year (about halfway through) and it has been AMAZING. It's daunting at first, but the reward of it far outweighs the difficulty! As for what to memorize--well, how I always choose what to memorize is by bathing it in prayer. This is important because these verses aren't just random ones that you found on Pinterest. They're going to be impactful in your everyday life. Seriously. You don't expect it to be that meaningful, but it is. Every passage I've memorized has been EXACTLY what I've needed to be learning at that point in my life. So pray. Read scripture. God will guide you to the right passage. Anyway. I'm psyched that you have this goal because I am SOOO glad to hear that you are taking Christianity seriously. It's not often you see people doing that. :-)

    Love the idea of a Social Media free weekend! I'd say blog about it...but that seems kind of like an oxymoron, doesn't it? ;-)

    And a 1-week devotional series is a really cool idea!

    As for what I want to make happen in January...

    Well, I'd love to WRITE. If I could finish my book in January, that would be AWESOME. I also want to sit down and do some drawing. Same with music. I feel like I've been given all these gifts and they kind of fall by the wayside because I'm lazy (and really that's the only reason, because I'm NOT too busy). I guess I kind of want to discover how God wants me to use each of my gifts. That'll probably take longer than January, but hey, might as well get a start on things. Other than that--falling in love with Jesus more every day. Because He never stops wooing me.

    Anyway, awesome post! Thanks for sharing! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so glad you like the concept :)
      I cant' wait to read it, I've heard it's really good!
      Thank you for the tips on memorizing scripture, it is very helpful and a great reminder :)
      I know...I seriously want to blog about it though, I think it would be interesting to tell others about how the social media free weekend went: social media can be helpful sometimes ;)
      I'm glad you think the one week series is a good idea :)
      I especially loved hearing about your goals, and thank you for such a meaningful comment, responding to each of my goals :)
      Thank YOU for your comment :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely post! And beautiful design!<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some great goals Lauren! I'm a big goal setter myself. I make yearly and monthly ones...and I'm still not the best about achieving them. I hope you do though!
    By the way, I like your blog's new streamlined look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me either...so I'm hoping this year I will actually achieve my goals.
      Thank you, I'm really glad you like the design!

      Delete
  6. Love the new design!!
    I love your idea of setting monthly goals instead of one gigantic resolution list for the entire year. It's really smart! I've been doing a mini goals list on my blog the last couple months, so I think I'm going to keep doing that along with the list of resolutions for the year.
    Your goals are so great! The social media free weekend sounds like a good idea, you should definitely post about it after the fact. Good luck on reaching 90 followers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I really thought it was a good idea and that it would make more progress than over a longer period of time.
      I will definitely try to post about that weekend, thank you for suggesting that :)
      And thanks...I'm so close to 90!!

      Delete
  7. Love the new design!
    It is a very clever idea to write smaller, more accomplish-able goals for each month than for the whole entire year.
    Good luck this year, I can't wait to see what else you produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, thank you!
      I am grateful that you are a reader :)

      Delete
  8. Your blog looks great! And I love the idea of setting smaller, attainable goals each month to work towards your over-arching resolutions. I thought about doing something similar, but didn't get it planned out in time.

    One thing I'd really like to do this month: pick up writing my book again (I haven't touched it since November!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so right. Life is always changing, so sometimes making yearly goals doesn't work. I love your monthly goals. Focusing on community, always with God in mind, and reasonable blog goals. They're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I *love* your new design! And this post is awesome! It's so hard to stick with New Year's resolutions. So often we make them and forget about them. The social media free weekend is such a good idea -- I might have to join you on that one!
    I enjoyed reading this!

    MS

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥