January 22, 2017

Tips for Taking the SAT


1. Get a good night's rest two nights before the test
This is vitally important to make sure you are ready to go, concentrated and fully rested to put forth your best effort.

2. Don't wake up twenty minutes before you have to leave 
Really you should be awake enough time before the test so that you aren't tired and lethargic anymore. If you're like the majority of teens, it takes awhile to wake up. So leave yourself time to get rid of those sleepy eyes...and brains. 

3. Don't study the night before 
Take a break and allow yourself to relax the night before. Don't allow yourself to stress because that will only make you preform worse. 

4. Study for short periods of time the weeks leading up 
The two or three weeks leading up to the test, spread out your studying. You'll be glad you didn't wait until the week of to cram in all of your studying. The SAT is a lot about strategy, so working on these strategies the weeks before the test will make you feel more confident on how the test is worded. 

5. Pick a consistent letter for guessing  
On the new SAT, you're allowed to guess and not be penalized! For the questions you don't know the answer to, guess the same letter across the board. Changing up your letter randomly will give you less of a chance of getting it right. 

6. Try your best 
You're not going to know for sure the answer to everything which is why you should not allow yourself to get stressed out if you don't know some of the answers. It's a college test, for goodness sake. Some of the math you may not know if you are a junior taking Algebra II. Putting forth your best effort is all you can do. 


Best resources for studying? 
Try Khan Academy, College Board and a SAT prep book. These are the resources I used along with taking an Etymology/SAT prep class in school. 



What tips do you have for those looking to take the SAT? 

11 comments:

  1. Wow, ever sense I mentioned taking the ACT test in one of my posts all these wonderful posts come popping up all over my feed that have advice, and its wonderful! Its so great to hear from people who have taken the tests before, and know what they are doing! Thanks, Lauren!<3
    Ohhh yes Khan Academy is goals! I love their history videos with John Green and their math videos are so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this post was helpful for you!
      I've never watched Khan Academy's videos, but I should look into them.

      Delete
  2. These are such great test-taking tips! Gosh, I'm dreading the SAT, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was really long but it is worth it when you get it over with.

      Delete
  3. In New Zealand, we don't have anything like the SAT, it always startles me to think that something that seems so important is multi choice?? Here, all exams are written - basically you write an essay to answer each question.

    Good luck with your SAT exams! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess part of the test is really focused on whether or not you can strategically understand what the question is asking. More than one answer can seem to be the correct one, but the wording of the question can depend on which one is truly the "best" answer.
      There's an essay at the end though; the multiple choice questions are the comprehension section of the test, I guess. That's one of the flaws in the United States is the amount of success they focus on standardized testing alone. I'm better at writing essays so I would prefer open ended questions...maybe?

      Delete
  4. AAAHH *flails* thank you so much for this post <3 I'm kinda freaking out about it, but I'm also trying to trust God for it too. These tips are so helpful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trusting God and doing my best during the test were definitely crucial. Yes, it's an important test, but it's definitely not the end of the world either.

      Delete
  5. me: sat more like sad
    lolz.
    good tips baby girl. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes yes yes I wish this didn't apply to me but don't we all

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥