January 10, 2017

Top Youth Group Clichés


1. Popcorn Prayer
popcorn prayer in itself is a great idea, but it is almost like an inward battle to decide whether you are going to contribute to the conversation. People might not think you're spiritual if you don't pray! 

2. Nailing Your Sins to the Cross 
Even though this is a cool visual element that can be used in lessons, it's just so overused. 

3. Bring-A-Friend 
If your youth group is anything like mine, and I'm sure it is, your leaders/pastors are obsessed with adding new numbers to the group. They'll give you prizes for bringing the most friends. 

4. The Yearly Youth Retreat 
Generally your youth group is going to have a specific retreat they go to every summer or winter and it's usually the place where much spiritual revival occurs and people "get right" with God. There's a lot of tears and hormones. 

5. Getting out of your comfort zone 
I think that the new comfort zone is getting out of your comfort zone. The obsession of this idea is actually annoying. Just refer to it in a different way, anything to stop the immense overuse of it.  

6. Changing the name every few years 
I don't really understand what it is with wanting to change the name of the youth group, but apparently it is a necessity to occur at least once or twice during your time in your youth group experience.





What do you think are some of the most common youth group clichés? 

15 comments:

  1. Lol, as someone who's never ever been to youth group, I found this pretty interesting. XD Great post though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you did ever did, these would most definitely be involved.

      Delete
  2. YES! These are all so true, Lauren!! Great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

    sophie xx
    lavender and blue
    the inkpot girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just so so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! Which one do you see the most?

      Delete
  4. Haha, I loved reading these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Autumn! I'm glad you read them haha

      Delete
  5. Interesting list! I've actually never attended youth group before (maybe once). It's just too much of an hormone-stimulating, emotionally-charged event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, youth group is most definitely interesting. There's been a lot of times where my youth group was a mess, but honestly, youth group is a good place to build community. There's been tons of emotions and hormones for sure though but I've loved the experience so much.

      Delete
  6. pOPCORN PRAYER IS MY ENEMY. I have so much anxiety when I hear those words. like heckkkkkk no. sign me OUT. no thank you.

    but seriously these are all so true. lol. its sad. and kinda cringey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MINE TOO. Yeah, it's literally like my heart pumps harder when we are in a popcorn prayer circle.
      ugh.
      Youth group is honestly cringy haha.

      Delete
  7. I've never been to a youth group, but this post was still really interesting!

    Paige xo // The Joys of Being Paige

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I've experienced a couple of these
    Though we do a mission trip instead of a retreat but yo let me tell you it's still the same with tears and hormones xD

    POPCORN PRAYER MAKES ME SO ANXIOUS AND SHAKEY AND SWEAT AND UGH it's this internal debate like bro should I pray? Am I going to get looked down on for this.
    Then it gets all quiet
    Awkward. Haha but this was awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true! I do participate in youth group and I have experienced almost all of these. :)

    Nabila // Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥