October 27, 2014

Family

I don’t really want to move out of the house, because there are so many beautiful reasons why staying at home can impact my life for the better. Here are just a few examples of how being at home can strengthen your character and help you become more like Christ. I’m writing this out for myself, but I hope that you can be challenged with the truths in this list, because I want my relationship with my family to become healthier, and for myself to grow spiritually through it!
v  At home, you can experience true love
At home is where you can practice and work on the characteristics that come with true love. You can show these characteristics to your parents and siblings and it is a great opportunity to grow in your character and learn to love…even when your siblings are being difficult. Check out 1 Corinthians 13 to see the characteristics of the strong true love of Christ that we should mirror in every single one of our relationships.
Ø  You are never alone at home
When you are living on your own, you can tend to become selfish because you are the only person you have to look out for. It can become very dangerous if you are me-focused! If you never have to deal with someone else’s annoying behaviors and cope with problems that you have with others in a health way, it can impact super important relationships you will have in the future. (e.g. marriage, dating relationships) Being part of a family is good practice for building lifelong relationships, and it will help you become less selfish if you are looking out for your siblings/parents own personal needs before your own.
And always remember: friends will come and go, but your family will always be forever! It’s not like they’re going to leave you anytime soon.
§  Home is the best place to serve
In Mark 10, “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Even though a lot of times we think of this verse as a thing we apply when we are out and about serving those that are “in need”, it can actually be applied at home. We can tend to be me focused, even if we are at home, but we should be looking out and looking for ways to serve at home. I know…this is a HUGE thing I need to work on. Living in a family provides many ways to serve, including cleaning, cooking and babysitting. I’m challenging myself and you as well to do something to help out, without being asked, at home today!
And remember; don’t waste these years at home! When you are twenty and on your own…you will wish that you were still at home with your family. The moments you have with your family won’t last forever and will end quickly! Use your family as a blessing, and use it to grow you as a person in Christ!
And even when you fail and don’t treat your family the way you should, or put something else above family (that shouldn’t be above it), it’s a great opportunity to practice asking for forgiveness and for learning from your mistakes.

God gave us a family for a reason! Don’t take your family for granted. 

1 comment:

  1. Ah, this is such a great post!:) I totally agree. My family is awesome. My sister is the best friend I could ever have. My dad teaches me so much and he's great to be around. Sometimes I get a little freaked that soon we're all be married and moved out of the house. It will come faster than I know it so I have to take advantage of all this time with my family:)
    Oh, I loved your story, btw:)
    In Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥