April 7, 2015

Goals in High School

High school is a very interesting time in each of our lives, and will be if we haven't gotten there yet.
It's a time where most people find who they are...or at least who they think they are. They start to develop the group of friends they will have for the majority of high school, and people become less dramatic. Well, usually. This isn't always the case across the board, but for most people it is the case.
Having goals and expectations for yourself during high school is very important, and knowing who you are in Christ is an important thing to know early on. Of course, we may have goals that God changes or brings into our lives later on, and that's wonderful. Never close the door on new opportunities that God might bring into your life. God works in amazing ways, but we need to have some idea on what we want to accomplish, otherwise we might waste a lot of time.


There are four main categories that goals can be broken down into:
1) Friendship/Relationship Goals (includes friends, boyfriends, parents, Christ)
2) Activities inside/outside school (Job, sports, clubs, activities)
3) Academic Goals (grades, career, test scores)
4) Spiritual Goals (Relationship with Christ, how much time will be put into strengthening it)

My main goals from all these categories can be summed up like this:
Friendships and family are more important to me than dating someone, and so I would not even consider dating until I'm at least 17. Continuing to find my identity in Christ in high school makes sense to me and sometimes another person can distract you from important things in high school. Although it works for some people, I don't feel I would be mature or ready for something like that. Getting to know my friends and family better, and strengthening my relationship with Christ is what is important to me. Getting a job, playing spring sports, spending time with friends, and being involved in my youth group are some of my most important goals. Investing in younger teenage girls, learning/continuing to practice guitar, continue blogging and keeping up with school work (all A's in high school is my ultimate goal) are also some other goals. Keeping Christ as the center of my focus all throughout high school, and pleasing Him with all of my decisions is what is most important to me. I think it's very easy to lose track of who we are and what we are called to do in the everyday school influences, but as a result, it grows you closer to the Lord. In my opinion, school influences have influenced me in a positive way because of what they have taught me. Staying near to the Lord and surrounding myself with Christian friends who will always have the same focus is very important to me. I think there is a balance between having non-christian friends to witness to, and letting yourself get sucked in by those around you.

I think it's important to tell other people these goals you have for yourself so that they can hold you accountable. It's easy to lose focus, but if you know that's something you struggle with, telling someone about it so they can remind you of verses/pray for you/encourage you to stay in the word, it can be extremely benefiting.

What about you? What are some goals that you will try to accomplish during high school? 

7 comments:

  1. This is really good :) I'm definitely focusing on social and academic goals for the rest of middle school and high school <3
    Inspirational as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relationships-wise, I am very on the fence about dating. I am extremely picky, so I'm pretty sure no one will be meeting my standards anytime soon! ;) I'd much rather focus my energy towards forming strong friendships.
    I really hope to grow closer to Christ throughout high school as well. I feel like it's a really good time for spiritual growth.
    I do have one big goal for high school, although a) it's more of a selfish goal and b) it probably will never happen, but I really want to have a leading role in one of my group's musicals before I graduate. I guess we'll have to see on that one.:)
    Xoxo
    Grace Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've totally wasted my freshman year thus far. I haven't gotten involved at all in co-curriculars, and that is the #1 thing on the list for sophomore year!! It has been a HUGE year for spiritual growth, which I am beyond thankful for. :) My advice for incoming freshmen is to GET INVOLVED!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great message, Lauren! High school has been such an exciting time in my life for the past two years! I am learning all these new things about life and wanting to get involved in everything! I like what you said, "It's a time where most people find who they are...or at least who they think they are. They start to develop the group of friends they will have for the majority of high school." Thats so true! This year its been a struggle with the whole finding who I am inside thing. I still really don't know. Deep down in my heart I know I am nothing outside of Christ, and nothing else matters, but a strong relationship with him. But because I'm a teenage girl things get in the way of that. I find myself wanting to be popular and cute, like the other girls my age in my drama class. Its hard to accept myself for who I am weather trying to make them accept me into their group. I am homeschooled right now, but at the beginning of the school year I was in a small private Christian school. Seriously, comparing my notes of that school with my friend's notes who goes to public high school, the Christian school was worse. I had absolutely no friends, and all the kids in my class (about 5) were really rude and picked on me occasionally. I was so depressed. I would just come home and cry, and I wouldn't talk to anyone. I know now that even though I'm homeschooled I am still going to have to deal with people like that, and the struggle of fitting in, but as long as I trust in Jesus everything will be alright in the end. My two goals for high school would be to grow stronger to Jesus Christ and build stronger relationships with my family, especially my mother. I really appreciate you posting 'real' things, Lauren. Situations that we can all relate to. You are an awesome encouragement to me! <3
    Clara
    P.S
    Sorry if this seems like a lot of random rambling! I'm so tired right now, but I really wanted to comment! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, Lauren :) Everything you said is so true, and high school is such an important. One quote that I remember when reading this post was "My unknown future is in the hands of an all-knowing God". It's kinda scary actually, thinking "Where will I be in ten years?" I mean, that's prettty scary...but God holds my future and it says in Jeremiah he plans to proper us, so obviously if I let God take control of my life, no matter what happens, I can have true joy <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. although I'm home-schooled, my goals are: getting good grades, and not becoming a non-schooling gangster, :) Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see highschool as such a temporary thing. One thing my mom told me that I'm always reminding myself of is that this is highschool... nothing lasts forever. My ultimate goal is to stay focused of the eternal, instead of getting wrapped up in the temporary drama and teenage life.
    I really loved this post, because way too often I forget that I should be living in the moment and working now to develop good skills and accomplish worthy goals. My current goal is to just finish this year with consistency.. I'm losing determination as the days go on! Spiritually, I really want to get better rooted in the Word and become more spiritually and emotionally stable.

    Molly Marie
    mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥