July 23, 2015

I'm a Horrible Christian

~First of all, I loose focus. When I'm trying to pray, read my Bible or do devotions, my mind wanders to other places. I lose focus on what is right in front of me. Even though I want to read my Bible and listen to what God has to say, a lot of times it feels like He isn't there.
It feels like I'm alive, and that God is still working, but I'm just floating in the water. 

Source
~I mess up, a lot. I continually sin. Even though I ask for forgiveness of the sins I've committed, I still continue to sin. Because I want to please God and follow Him, I don't give into temptation frequently. It does happen though, and I'm a horrible Christian for doing that. 
We sin so easily: I'll think in my mind, I'm not seeking God as diligently as other people, I'm not as good in loving others as that person." But then can't that be considered jealously? It's a continual cycle in my mind some days. 
I've spent many years seeking the Lord and growing closer to Him. I know that I've made progress since when I started many years ago as a young teen, but I feel like I haven't progressed.
Obviously it's a lifetime process and we will never be perfect, but sometimes I feel stuck.

But there's hope.
It's not about being a "Christian".
It's not about being good enough, and comparing yourself to other people.
It has to be about your own relationship with Christ, and paying attention to your relationship with Him. 
It's about CHRIST. It's about His death on the cross, and His grace in our lives. It's not our doing: it's His work in our lives. 
Other people's relationships with Christ can be reminders that we should be pursuing Him. They can be an encouragement to be reading our Bible. 
But each and every person has a "different" relationship with Christ. It looks different for each individual. Talking to God about how we feel in this area can be very important. Asking Him to show us His glory and grow us closer to Him, and being willing to change if necessary. That's what it can look like. Yet, it doesn't look the same for each person. 


So when you start talking or thinking about how you are a horrible Christian, remember it's not about you. It's about Christ, and how He is working in your life. You can try as hard as you want, but you'll never become who God wants you to be...without God. 
Without Christ, we are all horrible Christians. So many people call themselves Christians, where there is no personal relationship with Him. They are the ones that don't understand that we cannot do anything in our own strength.

Psalm 63:1, "You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water." 

11 comments:

  1. This post has such a powerful message. Thank you so much! I really needed this "slap upside the head" today<3 I am always comparing myself to others and always getting discouraged.
    Thank you for sharing posts that make us think. I really get a lot out of your posts<3
    -Clara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, thank you. Yesterday and today were kind of bad days for me, and even though I'm a person who tells others "it's not a bad day, it's your attitude"... i fail. i fail so much, and sometimes i feel like i fail God. And it's tough. Especially when others in your life start to make you feel..i don't know...just excluded. There's a verse I read in my Bible reading yesterday, something in the Psalms like, "No one acknowledges me.." and I'm just like, "I know how that it is, David."
    But yeah, sorry for that mini rant.
    thanks again <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the past several days, whenever I prayed, I felt like I was missing something in my prayer. I kept saying to myself, while praying, "Why does it feel like I'm missing something here?" I felt terrible and I kept telling myself to go on ahead and just keep redoing prayer until I gave up for that day. Maybe it's because I'm not having a conversation with Him, which is how prayer should be? I don't know. <3 Sometimes I don't know anymore.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOWOWOW.
    "...remember it's not about you. It's about Christ and how He is working in your life."

    This is amazing. I've been plagued with doubt lately while struggling with this. Thanks for this wonderful encouragement.

    xoxo
    ms

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's about CHRIST."

    AMEN. <3 thank you for this very convicting post. that "stuck" feeling? yeah, i've been feeling that lately too. but every christian life is filled with ups and downs, times on the mountain tops and times in the valley. thank you for this encouraging post xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME!!! Lovely post! Same thing happens to me, everytime I pray, I somehow get distracted and lose focus. Sometimes I feel if I really love God. But I remind myself how great and mighty God is. I am so thankful that Christ died on the cross for our sins. If not for us, we would be suffering in eternal hell. Gratefully, later we can rejoice with God and reunite with all the believers and have eternal life! We just have to believe and put out faith and trust in God. Lovely blog Lauren. I sure will keep updated with your blog!

    ~ Sarah :)
    * The Joys Of Life *

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post. Thank you so much, Lauren ♥

    -caroline

    carabelleadreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so good to do these posts.
    I need them, badly.
    Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post Lauren, so heartfelt and spot on! Just what I needed to hear, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you put all of that.
    You're right. Let's shift our focus to the Son of God, the One who is and was and is to come.

    -T. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad I'm not the only Christian out there who does this.
    I feel like when I'm praying I'm always thinking about other things, and I can't seem to change.
    I don't spend enough time with Him. Ever.
    Thanks for being the best blogger ever.. :)
    Soph//Light of the World

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥