July 1, 2015

Youth Group Clichés



1) "I'll pray about it".
Let's be real: at least half the time when people say it, they don't really mean it. A lot of people also say, "you're in my prayers," "I'll be praying", and even though sometimes it really is legit, a lot of people just say it to be kind.
And a lot of times people say "I'll pray about it" to get themselves off personal decisions...or to get out of something without directly saying it.

2) Making purple
Boys are blue and girls are red: don't mix them kids. Seriously, like who came up with this analogy? We aren't in second grade...just tell us straight up. I mean just tell us you don't want PDA...I'm pretty sure all the other teenagers don't want it either.

3) The Annual Youth Group Retreat
This starts out every year with the kids getting all stoked for the best event of youth group. Most of the kids just come to hang out with their friends, or for the location they are traveling.
Now don't get me wrong, a lot of kids actually do want to grow closer to Christ, and do, but a lot of times it doesn't end up that way.
A lot of kids say they had such an amazing spiritual experience, and that God worked in their lives in amazing ways. But that's all that's ever said, and when the next school week comes around, they slip in "old habits".
Let's all just be honest: usually retreats do end up giving us spiritual highs, which isn't usually the best way to go.

4) Bible Verses On Selfies
Don't put a verse under a selfie just for the fun of it...to have a caption on your photo. It's 1) been completely overused, and 2) is just weird...please don't use verses unless there use is very intentional!

5) The side hug
This is basically the way that Christians try to avoid touching people too much...especially of the opposite gender. Leave room for Jesus...all those clichés.
Not that the side hug by itself is inherently bad...it really does serve a good purpose. But it's SO overused!

6) Overusing words in prayers
Repeating Jesus Christ...Father God, Lord Jesus, etc.
I mean...it's like we are going to forget who we are praying to?

Be sure to leave some of the things that you think are super overused or cliché in the Christian realm below! 

10 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH YES. YES YES YES. I've grown up in youth groups, and all of these are 100% true. Especially the "I'm praying for you" and "Dont make purple". Agh, that annoyed me so much... And amen to the Bible verses on selfies!!! WHY DO THEY DO THAT?

    ReplyDelete
  2. xD Sounds like most youth groups i know of :)
    also, this totally reminded of Blimey Cow ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  3. LEAVE ROOM FOR JESUS. :') This reminded me so much of my youth group days (before I unfortunately stopped believing). Good times. I could relate to all of these, fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes...very common saying.
      May I ask what brought about the unbelief?
      I'm glad you could relate, thank you jo!

      Delete
    2. Sorry I'm only just replying! I didn't see it before. I'll answer you, thanks for being polite in asking!

      Well, it's like I never had faith in the first place. My Church was very fundamentalist and strict; they passed judgement a lot and made me feel as if I had to do things in order to get into heaven. Only 6 years later do I realise that God is the one that judges us in the end, ultimately. But by then I was convinced that it was all a lie, a scheme that they believed in so that they were comforted. Don't get me wrong, I love the Biblical message and Jesus is one of my biggest heroes, but I just don't believe a God exists anymore. I like the cold, hard facts of science, I take comfort in those. As for my Church, I saw that, for all their talk about love, had become judgemental people who turned away the broken. :)

      Delete
  4. UGH I AGREE GOSH. Side hugs are just...terrible. I get it. I really do. But if you don't like hugging then just don't hug the person. Wait. WAIT FOR THE REAL HUG THAT YOU ALL DESERVE.

    Hilarious post with tons of trueness, darling.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so much like my current youth group. I think we all over think things. Way too much. I love my youth group don't get me wrong, but sometimes we just go too much with the flow. (Don't we all?)
    Thanks for the reminder to be always standing strong for Jesus, and reminder of the usual cliches!
    xo,
    megann

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me laugh because all of these points are 100% TRUE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, just wanted to let you know that I grabbed your button to put on my new "button swap" page!

    MaryShelley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love this blog! It's amazing! LOVE the name btw!
    Happy blogging!
    ~Isabel~

    http://onethousandwordsatatime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥