September 29, 2015

talk with me

Today I want to talk to you about YOUR friends.
Tell me about your friends. 
What are some characteristics in them that you love? 
What are things about your best friend that you appreciate? 
What makes your best friend, your best friend? 


Need help getting started? Well, let me tell you about mine :) 


One of the things I appreciate about some of my best friends is the way that they point me back to Christ. Sometimes I don't think we realize the importance of the moment until we look back on it and realize what they were saying/doing was out of love, and because we were preoccupied/distracted, we didn't get to show our appreciation. 
We were at dinner with some friends, and I was being a complaining brat and was super self conscious about my appearance. 
My friend said something along the lines of:
Pray that God will allow you to put that aside so that you can focus on having fun. Don't let that get in the way and spoil your fun. 

 There were so many things she could have said. She didn't say I was annoying, or that it was stupid to say something so untrue about myself. She knew the words that I needed to hear, and pointed me back to Christ in the midst of it. She didn't dwell on the surface issue, she dug right to the heart of it.
I can never thank her enough. 
And she continually does that. She never stops pointing me back to Christ during situations in my life where I'm truly desperate for him. 
She continually invites me to do things with her + her friends, and thinks of me when she is going to do something fun. She wants to encourage me spiritually, and her acts of love are always from the heart. The thing is, ever little act that she does for me, I think it means more to me than she thinks it does. They may seem little to her, but they are HUGE to me. 
And oh my goodness, is she stinking gorgeous. She is one of the most beautiful people I've ever met in my entire life. 
She's already gorgeous on the outside, but sometimes I just can't get over how wonderfully beautiful she is because of how her heart flows to the outside. 
People have overused the words "beautiful, special", and I don't like using them, because anyone can say that about someone. "perfect" or "beautiful" is too easy of a word to think of. 
She is breathtaking, and I think that her love for Christ that flows into her appearance, people are drawn to that (including myself, duh). 
I haven't been friends with her for all that long. I always thought that the only way you could have a special friendship, connection and "best friend" status was if you had known them all of your life.
Sure, that's the way it is for a lot of people, but I don't think that it's the plan God has for everyone's lives.
It's definitely not for mine. She is the best friend I will never deserve, and I cannot wait to spend the rest of my high school years continuing to make memories and to get to know her better every moment. I can't imagine what my life would be like without her, I honestly can't. Her presence, encouragement and friendship helps me get through this chaotic life. 
This friendship started developing Freshman year, and honestly it was all her. I kinda held back because I didn't think someone so sebacious and swaggy could want to hang out with me, but when she invited me over for a first sleepover, I knew something special was gonna happen.
I am so blessed to have her in my life. So stinkin blessed. 


7 comments:

  1. I love this so much <3 I really appreciate friends who keep me accountable and are constantly uplifting. They're the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man.... I have been so encouraged by my friends lately. I guess what I like the most about my friends is that...like you said, they point me back to Christ, always. And little things, like calling me when I'm upset or lonely, or chatting me late into the night, or praying for me, rejoicing with me in the little answers to prayers.... I have so many things I could say. Seriously, God has truly blessed me with friends that are close as sisters. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Laur. It is so spot on. I too love how my best friends always point me back to God and what He's done for us. I have this one friend, and she always says, "Just pray about it," and here I'm thinking, "There's no way it can be that simple," but it is. I love spending time with people who aren't afraid of silence, people who don't feel the need to fill every moment with words. Because sometimes, words don't suffice. Anyway, sorry to make this comment so long, but I so loved this post. Keep up the good work, Lauren! I always enjoy reading your blog! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. This. This. THISSSSSS. So beautiful. Your friend sounds like she is a wonderful, deep soul. I have such a variety of friends. I love friends who don't mind quiet times, who can approach topical subjects without recoiling, who appreciates the information I have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words cannot express how much I love you. You is kind, you is smart, and you is loved. I thank God for you my friend. ~Lily

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOSH. i thank God every second of the day for the friends he has given to me. they push me towards him every day and....people say that God can't hold a conversation out loud, but I'm pretty sure he does through them. oh man. yeah.

    (also i can't even with the start of this post. just thinking about my best friends and how AMAZING they are just gets me so excited. because....they are so good. ehghak. so hard. i adore them. a short comment could not even contain it.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I don't know what I'd do without my friends! There always there for me!

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥