Growing up in the Christian community has no doubt brought up the idea of modesty, the double standard and so many other things related to clothing and covering up.
There are two extreme sides to this issue: a very feministic/liberal view (wear what pleases you because you're dressing for yourself and not for attention) and a very conservative view (both girls and guys should wear shirts and shorts when swimming).
But then there is a fight to determine where the best middle ground is.
Is it appropriate to wear a bikini or not?
And if girls shouldn't wear bikinis, should guys have to wear shirts too?
Now, I'm still trying to figure out where my opinion lies.
Personally I don't wear a bikini but that's a personal choice I've made. I'm not going to say that my opinion is right or wrong for you because perhaps you have a different view on things, and that's fine. I think maybe there is a time and place to wear bikinis but generally I would say for me, I wouldn't find it appropriate. Swimwear in my opinion is a tricky thing because just because you wear a one piece doesn't mean that your bathing suit is more appropriate than a bikini. (Some people, I'm just like, you might as well wear a stinkin bikini because it'll cover more than what you're wearing right now).
What annoys me is the fact that in Christian culture, bikinis are banned and guys who are shirtless are deemed acceptable.
Nobody seems to think about that the fact that guys swim with their shirts off might cause girls to stumble as well and to be physically attracted to them more than normal.
Now I'm not diminishing the fact that guys struggle with this more than girls because girls were created differently than guys but I also don't think that takes away the fact that girls find guys attractive as well and some girls have a hard time with lusting just as much as guys do.
I do believe that girls struggle with lusting and the sins that have often been deemed "guy sins" are starting to become more prominent as girls struggle with them in today's culture more than ever before. This is not really discussed because it is like the secret sin that nobody wants to talk about...or it's appropriate as long as we talk about guys struggling with it. (Because that's somehow "culturally normal").
A girl would never be addicted to porn would she?
Now, that's getting off the topic a little bit, but it does relate to the fact that girls have struggles too and telling ONLY the girls that they can't wear bikinis and letting the guys wear whatever they want is stupid.
God forbid guys to be able to stand there looking all 100% attractive with no shirt on while girls look like a wet rag while they wear a t-shirt over their bikini.
I want to follow God's command and not cause guys to stumble and also to honor my body since it is a temple of the Holy Spirit. For me, I don't wear bikinis because I don't deem it appropriate.
However if someone has a solid relationship with Jesus Christ and they want to wear a bikini that they feel is appropriate and covers themselves up the way they want too, then I think that is better than a girl wearing a one piece and complaining about how they have to do this because guys struggle and in the process are flaunting their body.
My main point in bringing this up is not to find a solution to the double standard because I don't think we will ever find something that will make everyone happy.
I just wanna end by saying and making the point that we cannot diminish the fact that girls always have been struggling with similar things as guys it has just never been discussed before.
There are many girls who have fallen into lusting, porn and other sexual sins but they don't know how to get help.
What are your thoughts?

"What annoys me is the fact that in Christian culture, bikinis are banned and guys who are shirtless are deemed acceptable." AMEN AMEN AMEN CAN I GET AN AMEN
ReplyDeleteTo be completely honest, Lauren, when your post popped up on my Blogger dashboard I actually started cracking up because I had legitimately JUST taken a break from drafting a post on this exact same topic. YAY FOR MIND TWINS!! :D
Personally, I do wear bikinis, mainly because I find them to be a lot more comfortable than a one piece. A friend of mine actually has never been able to find a one piece because she has a longer torso. So sometimes it's simply a matter of different body shapes.
The double standard truly is awful. I've been in situations where, despite the fact that it's extremely hot out, the girls are not allowed to wear shorts at all, while the guys can wear whatever they want, and half the time their shorts show half their underwear as well. It's basically the most frustrating thing on the planet.
Like I said, I do wear bikinis, but I believe that it's simply a matter of preference. If you like wearing bikinis better, great! But if you're more comfortable in a one piece and would prefer to wear that, it's great too! I don't think that so much pressure should be put on the issue, frankly. But if you're going to be one of those people who freaks out when a girl wears a bikini, then don't act like it's fine when the guys are wearing less clothing than we are. Because that's not an okay mentality to have.
I'm just completely rambling at this point I'm sorry XD Hopefully you could make sense of my rants.
p.s. I just shared this post on Twitter bc I loved it xD
DeleteOh my gosh yes! This is a very amazingly awesome post! I have always been annoyed by bathing suits and what I feel comfortable to wear. I wear bikinis and I am so fine with that. I am also christian. But then sometimes I feel weird. One pieces are annoying. But I so agree that if you feel that a girl shouldn't wear a bikini you can't be ok with boys having saggy shorts and no tops.
ReplyDeleteNabila // Hot Town Cool Girl
Great post, Lauren! This totally made sense and I agree with you 100%!
ReplyDeleteI personally don't wear a bikini. I don't feel comfortable going out in public feeling like I am only wearing underwear and a bra. Its just uncomfortable to feel so exposed, in my opinion. I usually wear shorts and a workout shirt or something. Its important to me to cover my body and not create a stumbling block for guys to lust.
"What annoys me is the fact that in Christian culture, bikinis are banned and guys who are shirtless are deemed acceptable." This line totally made sense. I've never really thought on this topic before and your post really made me think about it. In my family my brothers don't wear shirts when they swim, but they are younger, and I think thats totally fine at a young age not to wear a shirt, but older guys.....I can see where a girl may be overly attracted. I still don't really know what my opinion is on that....
Great post! I appreciate that you write about these kind of topics! They are so thought provoking! Lauren, you truly have a gift!<3
I am a person that falls more under the feminist view of clothing and modesty, because I feel that the main reason it's considered inappropriate for women to wear bikinis and totally fine for men to walk around shirtless anywhere is that a woman's body is constantly sexualized by the media. Women are supposed to cover their breasts, but breasts aren't sexual organs, they're meant to feed babies. I guess it really depends on where you stand on if sexuality itself. I barely give a second thought to the length of shorts or the thickness of tank top straps (that one really blows my mind, because it really is just a shoulder). I respect everybody no matter how they choose to dress, whether in a conservative or liberal way, as long as they respect how others choose to dress as well. Thank you for bringing this up, it has provoked some thought.
ReplyDeleteI agree completely. I love this view, I will probably be having a post about feminism coming up soon.
ReplyDeleteAllie D.
(http://sincerelyallied.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-little-things.html)
www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com
Oh my gosh! This sums it up, I don't even need to say anything.....I've chosen not to wear a bikini until I'm about 18 or until I feel comfortable wearing one, I dunno, I'd feel embarrassed and almost naked if I were to wear a bikini. So I just wear a swim suit, shorts, and a sleeveless t-shirt.
ReplyDeleteBy brothers also don't swim shirtless, we're also a christian family.
This is an awesome post!
-Addy
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH LAUREN.
ReplyDeletegirl, yes.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't have said these words better myself about the double standard! I 100% and people should wear whatever makes them comfortable!
ReplyDeletePREACH
ReplyDeleteOkay wow, yes. I'm so glad someone else sees things this way; this was really refreshing to read. xxx
ReplyDeleteYES. This kinda reminded me of a YouTube video I saw a while back, I think it was called Christian Modesty: The Double Standard...and it was pretty similar to this one!
ReplyDeleteBUT I AGREE WITH YOU SO MUCH. I'm pretty sure I fall back more on the conservative side, but that's okay. Honestly, I believe that modesty is firstly found in the heart. And I've known girls who from outside appearance, could be judged by more conservatives, but honestly, the heart is amazing, and that's what God sees. tbh, God is and will be the only judge, and I feel that mainly what we need to do is spread the love of God to a lost and hungry world. And if we're already picking at each other, it's not going to get us anywhere much less help anyone.
SO I'M NOT SURE WHERE I WAS GOING WITH THAT BUT YOU GET THE IDEA.
This was literally such a good post, Lauren <3 And kuddos to you for writing it!
Amen and amen! I was on a multi-church trip full of teens this past week. I have seen the comments and the pros and cons, and watched all the youtube videos on the bikini /t-shirt issue (along with the double standard). I am on the other side of teenager-hood and have witnessed with my own eyes the problems of a mixed group of teens in a pool as a teen and now as an adult leader. I am all for the t-shirt rule for both sexes. I have qualms about bikinis on youth-group girls anyways and ALSO , equal qualms about the shirtless guys. I have seen the same problem and total agree with you. My sister and I were discussing this with one of our church ladies this very afternoon! I realize that for swim teams and competitions these rules should not apply, but for church camps and pool parties and youth water days, the t-shirt rule for all genders is the wise way to go! It seems so reasonable (and logical). It appears to me this policy not only honors Christ, but it also makes everyone feel safer, girls included! Many girls who are seeking after Jesus don't want to look at guys like that. This policy just makes for less temptation and is not about being mean or unfair. If we explain to our youth that we want to be sanctified, and set apart, so we can focus on Jesus, I think many would comply whole-heartedly. (even with a few not so happy campers!) Anyways, thanks for this post!
ReplyDeleteYou go!!!!! This post is so true!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeletethank you for being a voice here!
ReplyDeletei agree with this so much. what we as girls wear can cause a guy to stumble, thus we have modest options and depending on the decisions we make we hopefully will choose to dress modestly and do our best to not be the cause of a guy stumbling. however it can be so hard when a guy is "standing there all attractive" shirtless and in swim trunks not to stumble. for some girls this isn't an issue and for some of us it is, it honestly depends on the person, and how their mind works. i personally can struggle with this because of my imagination, but it's something you grow used to as the years go on because well you're almost forced to. this modesty issue could go both ways - girls causing guys to stumble and guys causing girls to stumble. but it is my firm belief that we as Christians should do our best to dress appropriately and modestly to help the opposite gender not to stumble, (and i don't mean that in a way where all you can wear is skirts and guys must wear long sleeves and pants, but however if this is what your conviction after thoroughly seeking God's will through His word and prayer then go you.) and i hope that the choices i am making are helping the guys around me be the best godly men they can be, because i know many of them try to be that type of person for the girls surrounding them (including me). so if you are one of the guys constantly striving to act and dress in a manner to help the girls around you be the most godly women they can be, i want to thank you. even if we as girls don't realize it,it helps in so many ways, so thank you.
ReplyDeletelovely post once again, lauren :)
xoxo,
m.