Before I begin, I want to thank Jordan and Sarah for guest posting on my blog this past week! I loved both of your posts and it was a lot of fun to guest post on your blogs as well! I loved having guest posts, however, I am happy to come back and start blogging on my own blog. I have started to only post what will get others viewers attention...but I want to go back and focus on blogging on what makes me happy :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do any of you struggle with jealousy? Nothing good comes out of
jealousy, only broken relationships and walls built between friendships. Here
are a few of the top things people become jealous about…and how you can prevent
that jealousy from destroying you! I'm not an expert, but I have
found a few things from God's word that I think can help everyone that
struggles with jealousy.
1. I wish I looked like her.
Isaiah 45:9 says “Does
the clay to say to the potter, ‘what are you making?’ Does your work say, ‘The
potter has no hands?”
Do we have the right to ask God what he has made? The creator of
the universe created us for HIS glory, and not our own. I battled with this
type of jealousy for a really long time, but then I came across this verse,
and two other points that really helped.
First, even if we thought we were absolutely gorgeous all the
time, wouldn't that only lead to selfish ambition?
Secondly, God doesn't care about the outside of our bodies as much
as he cares about our spiritual condition.
Now, please don’t take this the wrong way! It is a wonderful thing
to feel pretty, but we need to be satisfied in whom we are in Christ and then
we can feel good about ourselves all the time! I still struggle with this on
certain occasions when I don’t feel good about myself, but I have to remember
that these thoughts are only going to lead to jealousy and selfish ambition,
and they are not honoring to the Lord that created me.
2. I wish I had what she has
When we want more of something, more is never enough. Try it! Buy
a bunch of new clothes and then about two weeks later, you’ll want more.
Jealousy doesn’t end after you get think you want, because that isn’t really
want you want.
I read a book called “Made To Crave” and I definitely recommend
it. When you want something to fill you up, and to make you as happy as the
other girls are that have those things, you really are craving a relationship
with Jesus Christ.
Now this is the same way with the first point, there is nothing
wrong with buying new clothes and shoes so that you can feel pretty, but you
must be content with what the Lord has given you.
You must be able to be happy and serve the Lord, even if you don’t
get everything that you want…because otherwise it is a ME focused point of
view.
Matthew 4:4 says, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every
word that comes from the mouth of God.”
When you read from the word of God, you will find a deeper
relationship with Jesus Christ, which is what our heart is really craving for.
3. I wish I had a relationship with a guy just like that girl does.
If you read number 3 and think "that is totally me!" you and I would be similar in many different ways.
God has taught me a lot in this area through specific guys that he has put in my life to do so.
Especially over this past summer (and I've never really mentioned it on here), God used a specific person in my life that I thought was truly amazing. Because I couldn't look past the looks and the characteristics I thought were good (and they probably were!), I couldn't see the things that I would be settling for and how that person wouldn't be a spiritual leader.
Even though a lot of my friends told me that he wasn't someone I should waste my time on and that it was kind of stupid for me since he was two years older and very much not on my "level", I didn't really listen.
Two of the top lessons I learned were:
God has taught me a lot in this area through specific guys that he has put in my life to do so.
Especially over this past summer (and I've never really mentioned it on here), God used a specific person in my life that I thought was truly amazing. Because I couldn't look past the looks and the characteristics I thought were good (and they probably were!), I couldn't see the things that I would be settling for and how that person wouldn't be a spiritual leader.
Even though a lot of my friends told me that he wasn't someone I should waste my time on and that it was kind of stupid for me since he was two years older and very much not on my "level", I didn't really listen.
Two of the top lessons I learned were:
- Listen to what your friends say about these kinds of things
- Don't start even consider about getting in a relationship with someone else if your relationship with Jesus Christ isn't the biggest thing in your life.
So how do we not become jealous of other people? When we truly know who we are in Christ, we can feel confident in who we are in him. You hear this phrase a lot but it's very much true!
But that doesn't mean that every person that you meet is a waste of time. Truly this friendship with this guy wasn't a waste of time because it taught me a lot of valuable lessons so that I don't get hurt later on. And, in fact, I still have a friendship with him, even though I wouldn't consider him like my older brother (like my older cousin is to me).
You can't get into a relationship until you are so confident in who you are in Christ that it doesn't depend on who or who isn't in your life for you to be happy!
Why don’t we embrace our years as a single, being content in whatever situation God has put us in, and use it as a time to get closer to our Lord Jesus Christ? Then He can put a godly Christian man in your life so that both of you can live to further his kingdom.
Isn't that a beautiful thought? Someday a relationship can be *the other person focused* and *God centered* so that even if the relationship doesn't work out, it still could have glorified God and taught one another to love as Christ loves the Church.But that doesn't mean that every person that you meet is a waste of time. Truly this friendship with this guy wasn't a waste of time because it taught me a lot of valuable lessons so that I don't get hurt later on. And, in fact, I still have a friendship with him, even though I wouldn't consider him like my older brother (like my older cousin is to me).
You can't get into a relationship until you are so confident in who you are in Christ that it doesn't depend on who or who isn't in your life for you to be happy!
Why don’t we embrace our years as a single, being content in whatever situation God has put us in, and use it as a time to get closer to our Lord Jesus Christ? Then He can put a godly Christian man in your life so that both of you can live to further his kingdom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope a few of these points are helpful and encourage you in your faith!
If you have any other comments please comment below :)
If you have any other comments please comment below :)
Wow. Thank you SO much for this. I do suffer from jealousy from time to time-- and these are such inspiring words. :)
ReplyDeleteI love this! I sometimes struggle with jealousy... or some sort of feeling, I don't know. It's not all jealousy, but it's kind of hard to explain. Like, I wish I could these people could notice me-- people who I used to be friends with but drifted apart because of time and differing interests-- but all they do is seem to just ignore me. I love them like brothers and sisters, but they just push me aside. I dunno how to explain it, but being friends with them again would be the world. ^.^ Sorry for that little rant... I just had to spill the beans.
ReplyDeletexoxo Morning
Your blog is so cute, Lauren! And this is a great post! Lately I have been struggling with jealousy with a certain person in my life, but this post has encouraged me so much! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great subject. That's so cool that you're thinking about all these aspects with eternity in mind. And it's so true, so much of jealousy is caused by us having a wrong focus, simply a selfish one, instead of being founded in our identity of the Lord's complete love for us. And I think it's so easy to get caught in that cycle of selfishness/pity/jealousy, but that deep need is so nullified once we turn back to His presence and run to His love, which is so much more than enough for us. Yah, not trying to know the Truth when we could is the real waste. So thank you for seeking out what God says about this and sharing.
ReplyDeleteAlso, that's a tough but awesome thing to be learning, and I'm with you there, that pursuing our own ambition can and usually does lead to hurt; but pouring out God's love is never, ever a waste. :)