March 14, 2015
Pop Music
Secular music has been a battle that I think a lot of Christian teenagers, specifically, deal with
What is appropriate to listen too...and what is not appropriate?
Is listening to secular music sinful?
I know...there's Christian pop, but today I'm specifically talking about secular pop music.
The Christian in my opinion is free to enter the culture of this world, including the pop music, equipped with discernment. We don't need to fear the music of our culture, but we need to exercise caution what we kind of music we surround ourselves with. Being familiar with the most popular songs and singers and having background information on the songs is always a good idea.
Music influences in a significant way, and I think sometimes we don't realize how much it influences us.
If you surround yourself with music which lyrics are corrupt...either using profane language or talking about inappropriate subjects, or even things that don't exactly state the obvious sometime, but it's the message being conveyed.
Not to mention in the Bible it talks about how we should fill our minds with "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things." (Philippians 4:8)
Things that are crude and inappropriate are definitely not admirable, praiseworthy or pure.
But, I love pop music! Music is something that I LOVE and I connect with many of the words that artists come out with. But I have learned to be extremely picky and careful with what songs I listen to.
For example, think about the song "Bang Bang". This song doesn't come right out and say the things that it means, but in my person opinion, it's not a a clean or pure thing that I'm going to fill my brain with. Just because a song has a good beat, doesn't mean that it should be listened to, and of course that can be really hard to do. (Especially with some of Ed Sheeran's songs)
Now...Taylor Swift is one of my favorite artists ever. However, some of the songs on her newest album have curse words in it.
Shake It Off even has a bad word in it.
The message of the song Shake It Off isn't bad at all, and so my solution to this problem is to insert "really good hair" :)
However the majority of songs that have more than one curse word in them usually means the overall content isn't good. If you hear a curse word more than once, you might want to reconsider what you're listening to.
Here is my standard for whether or not I'm going to listen to a pop song.
1) What is the overall message of the song? Is it portraying something inappropriate or crude? Does it have crude language throughout?
2) What about the singer....or the singers intent for the song? Is their some background information on the song or a choice that the singer has made that you aren't going to support by listening to their music?
Some of my favorite pop singers (or not "Christian" singers per se) include:
1) Taylor Swift (content is not inappropriate, and usually just talks about relationships, some lessons can be learned from her songs)
2) Ben Rector (Check out; When I'm with You, I Like You, and Wildfire)
3) Colbie Caillat (Aww...such cute love songs, talking about how butterflies get in her stomach, and how she "may be fallin for you" :)
4) One Direction (Gotta love them...even if you never liked their music in the past, you gotta admit "Four" is a good quality album)
Here are a few songs by singers that I enjoy, and some other songs by these artists might also interest you, however you have to be careful with some songs:
Ariana Grande; Piano
Imagine Dragons; On Top of the World, Radioactive, It's Time
Andy Grammer; Fine by Me
Maroon 5; It Was Always You
Ed Sheeran; Thinking Out Loud
Daughtery; Waiting for Superman
Christina Perri; Human
Sara Bareilles; Brave
Sara Haze; Lovely
Justin Timberlake; Mirrors, Not a Bad Thing
MKTO; Classic
And if all else fails, Christian music is the way to go. There are so many quality songs that Christian's put out. However, even with these, some songs don't line up with what the Bible says.
Someone Worth Dying For by Mikeschair...I get the song. Jesus loved us so much in order to die on the cross for us...but we were never someone worth dying for. We are sinners, and in need of a Savior. It's because of what Christ did...we were never worth dying for. That's why this Christian song in particular annoys me so much. So no matter what, just listen to the lyrics of the song to see what you are putting into your brain.
What are some of your favorite pop singers that you often go to because their music is appropriate? What are some of your favorite pop songs in general (maybe I know them too, and I can add them to the list!)?
What pop singers do you despise because of their lack of appropriate music?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Lovely post. <3
ReplyDeleteMy mother and I were just talking the other day about how many Christians (including ourselves, of course) fall pray to listening to songs that really do not have the right message.
Thank you so much for this; I honestly think God is using you for His glory, Lauren.
You don't want to know what "banging" means. I only know what it means because I asked the same question myself, and some of my friends filled me in. (They aren't bad or anything; they're just older and much more mature when it comes to things like that.) I'm actually writing an article for one site speaking about how music has changed.
ReplyDeleteListen to the pop songs from 2009-2012, which is one of my favorite music time periods since I have been alive. If you compare it to today's music, you can tell that there is a big difference. The music from 2009-12 had minimal inappropriate things, and now, it's much more evident. Really search it up; it's interesting. Because of how music is made today, my genre interest has changed. I mainly listen to folk and indie music now. It holds some "pop" artists (Sara Bareilles, Andy Grammar, Colbie Calliat, etc.) but most of the music is clean.
xoxo Morning
This has crossed my mind a lot lately because my younger sister is listening to songs that are bad for her. "It's just a song," she says but then she also says, "Music is life." The things you listen to DO affect you and the way you think... But younger sisters don't seem to listen, do they?
ReplyDeleteSo yeah. Great post, Lauren! :-)
Yay, you wrote a post on music! I got really excited when I saw this, Lauren. :) It's often so difficult to decide what to listen to! For example, I'm into musical theatre, and I LOVE Newsies. It's amazing. But in several of their songs, there are curse words that i don't agree with. I typically do what you do, and replace them haha. I'm so glad someone else did that for Shake It Off! Haha, I always say "head of good hair" lol. ;)
ReplyDeleteI love Christian music! Sometimes I've got to admit though, it can be a bit difficult to find Christian songs that are good MUSIC as well as a good message.
Thank you so much for writing this! And I agree about Ed Sheeran- I LOVE his music, but some of those lyrics...yikes.
xoxo
Grace Anne
http://totallygraced.blogspot.com
Nice posts! <3 Yes, I have struggled with this! Some songs that seem harmless can influence the way we think, speak and can even affect our character! Music is powerful! Some times I find myself thinking my parents are to strict with the music that I listen to, but I know that they are protecting me and they only want whats best for me and my siblings. Awesome post! I love the way you write your posts. They really make me think<3
ReplyDeleteClara<3
Oh my word. I honestly love posts about music, since it's kinda a subject I could for hours on. I love everything you said in this post... Personally I'm not really allowed/interested in a lot of the mainstream music, so I stick it to the "Christian" artists. Though as you said, not all "Christian" is necessarily Christ-honoring..which is sad to hear. I mean, I've heard a lot of mainstream songs, and sometimes it's quite appalling to hear the lyrics, other times, not so much. One thing I love doing is googling song lyrics to a popular song to see what it really is. Nerdy? Maybe. Helpful? YEAH.
ReplyDeleteAmazing post anyways :)
Britt nicole is good!
ReplyDeleteI just nominated you on my blog!\
ReplyDeleteWonderful post Lauren!
ReplyDeleteI know exactly what you mean. For me pop music (not necessarily even popular) is something I can listen to and enjoy way more than most contemporary Christian songs. Not that I have something against the Christian artists, I just feel like sometimes they don't put their talents to use as well as they could, and instead of coming out with amazing songs to worship God, they try to create catchy toons which sometimes get very annoying :/ I like to listen to songs and look up reviews on them too! I actually wrote a post on a blog I contribute to (a hand in hand) about christian artists and their songs... here's the link if you want to look at it: http://ahandinhand.blogspot.com/2014/09/switchfoot.html
One other thing: Imagine Dragons is amazing, and so is MKTO Classic! One other song of theirs that I really like (kinda talks about insecurity/self esteem) is American Dream.
Lovely blog by the way!
~Katrina
I totally agree with you! What annoys me is when a song, like "Bang Bang", is super catchy and easy to listen to, but when you listen to the lyrics, you have to turn it off. I'm so glad someone agrees with me on the "Something Worth Dying For" thing. I love all the songs you shared. Many artists I listen to do not live godly lives, but they have really thoughtful music, so I'd say that's my main problem.
ReplyDeleteIn Christ,
Sarah
I used to love this song Someone Worth Dying For ( I still love the tune ) but one time my younger brother was listening to it with me and said something about it, and we were both like, wait a minute! That's not right! I guess I had assumed that since it was a Christian song that it would be okay, but even "Christian" songs can be unbiblical and you have to be careful.
DeleteAgree completely. 3 years ago, I bought a song and deleted it because it had a milder, "borderline" swear word in it, and now I don't even flinch or notice the f word. It is sad how we become "immune" to crap! Media changes our Christian worldviews on topics (ESPECIALLY SEXUALITY!!). I'm not saying to get away from all pop culture, but there is a lot of crap we let in!
ReplyDeleteI'm a little frustrated that there aren't too many awesome Christian artists. I mean, there are, but in general, pop is just better music. :/ I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Carrie Underwood's How Great Thou Art and hillsong united's broken vessels!
I also wish that more Contempory Christian songs were directly from scripture. You know what I mean? :) you can never go wrong with CCM if you don't know what to listen to!!
Hope you are having a divine week (so far)!
Much love,
Ty
love this post! this is a subject i think about a lot, and hearing anothers perspective is really encouraging!! I agree with you and a lot of other commenters that a big problem with music for Christians is that Christian musicians just don't always put out good quality music. even if the message is good! I like classical crossover/popera, and there are no 'Christian' musicians in that genre (most are Catholic so there are some hymns but not a ton.) My sister is trying to convince me that she and I need to be the first;) anyways, great post. You're right in saying it can be very hard to know when and where to draw a line, esp. since you can't always judge it until too late:/
ReplyDelete