March 1, 2015

Being Who We Are Meant to Be

Society tells us to be ourselves, but then they say but not like that. 
It's a very cliche saying, but I think its something that really needs to be said over and over again because it is something that we quickly forget. I'm going to take a slightly different approach, and talk about how to be who we are meant to be, not being anyone else. 
An old post from over at Fifth Out of Ten made me extremely happy. 
It talked about how each person has a soul language, and some people's soul language are more beautiful and deeper than others. Those are the people that you want cherish and never let go of. 
That's who I want to be. I want to be the person that has a beautiful soul language. 
The things like your favorite memories, your favorite smells, the things that make you smile, the people that you have around you, those make up your soul language.
Your soul language is a beautiful part of you.
And nobody's soul language is the same as yours. Some will be similar, but never the same.
Psalms 139 talks about how we are fearfully and wonderfully made, and sometimes, we find it hard to grasp this idea. 
Fearfully and wonderfully made by the Creator of the Universe.
Of course, there will be days where we feel down, feel ugly or that our personality just isn't good enough. But God created you just the way that you are for a reason...
Embrace the things that you smile about, your favorite memories, your fashion style, what you do when you are sad, where you go when you are scared, and the way you look when you wake up. 
Because those are the things that make you YOU. 
A lot of times, we try to change ourselves for society. There will always be a person that you don't feel good enough to be their friend. You might always have a dream to be accepted by a group of people, or maybe to be that one person that everyone wants to be friends with.
There's specifically two people in my life that I know right now, that seem to be just that. The one is a guy, and he seems to have so many wonderful friends, and I think he has finally found that friend group. That makes me want to have the same thing, you know? I want to have people accept me for who I am, and not for who I have to be around them to make them like me. 
I've gone through the pain of trying to make myself someone I wasn't just to impress a group of people. It's okay to change your fashion style, or maybe change what genre of music that you like, as long as you genuinely do like it. But you can't change yourself into someone you're not. That makes you less of who you are supposed to be. 
We need more raw, genuine, honest people.
People that aren't afraid to express those quirks about themselves. Some people will think they are weird, but it doesn't matter. Everyone has quirks, but that's who makes us who we are.
The people who don't have quirks are fake and artificial. They are like a piece of chalk, they don't do anything except try to please people, and they usually end up getting used. 
(Wow, nice example of chalk there, right?) 
Be who you WANT to be, not who society tells you to be. If that means that you loose friends, that might be okay. Because I promise that someday (it might not be right now!) you will find people that have similar quirks as you. 
This is what happened to me. I found a girl, who isn't afraid to be herself, and who has such a beautiful soul language.
And as I get to know her...we find out we have similar quirks in common. 
They will also have watched webkinz music videos and thought of "tiger tiger" as the biggest party song ever.
They might also love the same bands as you.
They might also see the same things in people as you do.
They might start eating all of your food when they're at your house, because they are being themselves.

That to me is the most beautiful thing; when someone doesn't care what other people think, even if it's not the kind of person I'm going to be friends with. When they are raw, and honest, they aren't just a piece of chalk, and that is so beautiful. 

So please, be beaYOUitful. 
Because remember, those people with the most beautiful soul languages, are the ones worth holding onto the tightest. 

14 comments:

  1. oh wow...I just loved this post so much, Lauren. Being true to who you are is so easy to say, yet something that a lot of people, including myself, find hard to do when you are being labeled by society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren-
    I'm so glad that you are able to see that as a freshman in high school. The vast majority of freshman (and adults, if I'm honest) don't have that mindset and don't know what you just typed!
    High school was difficult for me, yet some of the best days of my life because I was living the dream. I was someone else, only because I wanted to fit in. After graduation, I decided I was DONE. So I spent the summer only doing what I wanted to do and finding myself and my identity in Christ. God rewarded that and I met my BFF and husband, Mason, at freshman orientation!
    My other BFF, Brooke, met her husband at freshman orientation that day too! You know why? THEY BOTH HAD ON BOB THE TOMATO SHIRTS! They weren't afraid to be theirselves!

    Peace be with you

    Lissa

    Masonandlissa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post...wow. This really spoke to me, Lauren. I absolutely LOVE people who have beautiful soul languages. They make the absolute best friends. They're so fun to be around, and you know where you stand with them.
    As for me....this is something I still have to work on. I'm trying really hard lately to be more like this, but it's definitely one of the things that I struggle with. I guess it's just hard to be like "okay, this is who I am, like it or not." This post gave me lots of food for thought!
    Thanks so much for posting this, Lauren!
    Xoxo,
    Grace Anne
    http://totallygraced.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that we need to be more honest, raw, and authentic. It's hard, but we've all got to try.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  5. This. I love this.

    I also love the fact that best friends don't always agree on things, but they look past that and are still friends, ya know? I love it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! And very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome post, Lauren! Your posts are always so encouraging. <3 Thank you so so much for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. Your blog's music is beautiful! I love paying your blog a visit and listening and reading to it. <3

      Delete
  8. Wow this is beautiful!!! SO true.. I can totally relate to what you described about feeling like you have to be someone else or someTHING else.. when all people want, is for you to be you, and thats admirable, because it shows you are unique.. loved reading this from top to bottom, wow you are a so inspirational and a good writer! love your blog, can't wait to read more! Maybe you could do something on girls waiting for the right guy, and not feeling like they have to have a guy like their friends, to feel good about themselves? I know I struggle with that, and I'm sure many others do to! Yay, keep this up! - Riarna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this. It's a daunting task even finding who you are because of how influenced we are by others!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great thoughts!

    (Thanks for commenting on my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful and inspiring post! I love your blog. I'm following. :D

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥