March 10, 2015

Where Does Your Joy Come From?

After an amazing weekend of joy and hanging out with my friends, I had to come back to the reality of life. But then I thought about it...it says in God's word that we need to be joyful in the Lord at all times. Joy can't be based off of our circumstances, rather we should find our joy in Christ. 

In Psalm 16:11 it says, "You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." 
Obviously there is nothing wrong with being joyful and happy because of our situations, but we can't base our joy off of situations, and let it be dependent on whether we get what we want.
We can find true joy and happiness in the presence of Christ and with our relationship with Him.
As I came home from going to pizza hut with 10 people from my youth group, I was so upset. All of the joy and happiness had seemed to escape from me, because I realized I had to go to school.
Last night I thought about how I must find my fulfillment and joy from Christ, and not try to find it the situations that go around me. If I try to find total joy and happiness in situations around me, I'll never be joyful and have the joy that God commands us to have. Plus, if life is happy and bringing joy to your life, you will be living in such sadness.
1 Thessalonians 5 mentions how we should be "joyful always."
Of course, there is going to be times when we are upset, but I think it goes to show that no matter what is going on around us, there is a place we can go to find joy. It's in Christ.
So what about you? Do you sometimes fall into the habit of finding your joy in the circumstances instead of in Christ, just like me? 

P.S. Thank you for the 13 forms of feedback I received, I really appreciate all of your comments! The survey is now closed, but if you would like to give me any post suggestions or any other type of feedback, please contact me personally.

4 comments:

  1. ....wow. Lauren, your posts always make me think, and this post is no different. I fall into this habit as well, and it's really something that I need to work on. Thank you for posting this. You're so wise!
    xoxo
    Grace Anne
    http://totallygraced.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad has been talking to me about having joy recently. Sometimes its really hard to have joy especially when situations are tough. Thank you for the verse! Very encouraging post!
    Clara<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was wonderful Lauren! You're blog is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written <3
    I really think this spoke to me today, and I think I really used it. Thanks Lauren ♥

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥