Dear you,
It's gonna be tough, but it's gonna be worth it.
Everyone I have talked to believes that middle school is probably one of the hardest times of your life...one that many people don't want to repeat. I believe it wholeheartedly. After going through middle school, I personally believe that no matter what you are going to have that year that you absolutely hated. But you can make middle school a great time of your life by knowing and surrounding yourself with certain things. 7th grade was the year that I hated...and it was a nightmare. But it wasn't a waste of time, that's for sure. Even though I would not want to repeat it, it taught me so many things that I haven't had to learn in high school. I didn't have the best influence from my friends, and I wasn't desiring a relationship with God. Anything apart from God usually isn't a good thing.
It won't be easy, but it will grow you and change you. It will allow you to talk to others about it as you get older...possibly helping the next generation. Middle school helps you learn a lot of stuff so you don't have to go through it in high school when it gets more serious.
It's just a time that everyone goes through when everything is embarrassing. But to be honest, one of the things that I've learned from middle school has helped me now. In a few years, or even 10 years, most of the things of middle school drama life will be forgotten. Most of the people that I remember being present when embarrassing things happened don't even remember it. Or if they do remember it, we look back on it and laugh. It's helped me to remember that just because 1 thing happens in high school doesn't mean anyone will ever remember after these years are over.
To help make the middle school years better, surround yourself with good friends who will encourage you. Unfortunately middle school is a time when you lose a lot of friends, but finding people who will never leave you is important...and a lot of times these are going to be girls older than you.
And for those other high schoolers and adults, being there for middle schoolers is so important. There really wasn't anyone like in my life that until I reached 8th grade...or even into 9th grade. It would have made a lot of difference, and knowing that I was respected and could be heard by an older teenager would have meant the world to me. Some people don't believe they are gifted with this ability or "gift", but I think if you have the desire or passion to do this like me, sit down with some young teenage girls and hear them. Even if you don't think you have the passion or gift, you can definitely still help and influence others around you.
Being real and raw with someone is what encourages people the most and builds them up. You don't know what they might be going through and encouraging them is one of the best things to do.
And most of all...to you middle schooler, I don't look down on you. I know exactly how you feel and I hate when adults tend to look down on all of us. It's something that even 17 and 18 year olds sometimes deal with, so we are all in this together. We high schoolers and beyond understand how you feel, so don't be afraid to talk to us about how you feel. I'm in high school and I LOVE it when younger girls feel they trust me enough to talk to me about what is going on.
And remember to focus on the Lord. If there's one thing that I wish I could change about middle school, even though I was grown closer to the Lord through what happened, it would have been to spend more time with God. I spent so much time worrying and thinking about aimless things...which might have been more of a personal struggle, but knowing that God is near during these times is so very important.
If you can get involved and be open in your youth group or Church someway be sure to do that! Don't be afraid to have people pray for you and talk about stuff. I wish I would have been more open with some of the girls in my youth group when I was younger. Part of that might come as you grow older, but I love talking with older girls so much now, and it's something I wish middleschoolers knew that they can feel free to do.
God created you and you all are so unique, so don't let society shape you into something that you aren't! You will eventually look back at middle school and be thankful for things it has taught you.
Lauren

perfect. I'm sure this 100% relatable for so many out there :) You outdid yourself, once again =)
ReplyDeletePerfection! Thank you for getting this out there. ♥
ReplyDeletexoxo
I loved what you said about how those of us who are out of middle school should be willing to listen to the girls who still are. YES. :) A+ post. And thank you for stopping by Curious Ramblings :)
ReplyDeleteYouth group and new found friends helped made me a bit more comfortable being thrown into a setting where everything was new and you were forced to be independent and survive! My first year of youth group was so weird, but my second year? Let's just say that because of the second year a high score on our church's Game Cube's Super Smash Bros still stands strong today.
ReplyDeletexoxo Morning
Awesome, so true and very wise<3
ReplyDeleteI'm totally willing to listen to and help out the younger grades! Middle school was the toughest of all schools for me, too. Really thoughtful post you've got there. :)
ReplyDeleteSo very true! I wish I had read this before going through those years myself :)
ReplyDeleteThis is perfect! I wish I had read it while I was in middle school. I agree, middle school was rough... I've actually been able to grow close to three or four middle school girls, and I may have to show them this post!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Grace Anne :)
http://totallygraced.blogspot.com/
Oh my goodness! Middle school was terrible! And I wasn't even public schooled! I was home schooled. So glad that over..... I like your idea of encouraging and being a friend to middle schoolers. I have realized for a long time that younger kids look up to and feel so special when older teens pay attention to them, instead of brushing them off like so many people do. And I don't know why people do that! Younger kids are a blast to hang out with!!!
ReplyDeleteAnyways, this post is pretty awesome. :D
NEEDED THIS. Thank youuu. ;)
ReplyDeletex