So back in April, I published a post on the importance of our high school years, and what my goals and priorities would be for them. Setting goals and having some sort of expectations for how you will spend your time is a good idea, but I also think going back and re-evaluating those goals is a good idea as well.
Come along with me as I look back on my goals for high school. There are a lot of things I have accomplished since April, goals that are still the same and goals that have somewhat changed.
So, I broke high school goals into 4 main categories,
1) friendship/relationship goals (includes friends, boyfriend, parents, Christ)
2) Activities inside/outside school (jobs, sports, clubs, activities)
3) Academic goals (grades, career, test scores)
4) Spiritual Goals (relationship with Christ, how much time will be put into strengthening it)
Goal in April: Friendships and family are more important to me than dating someone, and so I would not even consider dating until I'm at least 17. Continuing to find my identity in Christ in high school makes sense to me and sometimes another person can distract you from important things in high school. Although it works for some people, I don't feel I would be mature or ready for something like that. Getting to know my friends and family better, and strengthening my relationship with Christ is what is important to me.
Current goal/progress: I would say that my stance on this issue is still the same. I still know that I am not mature/spiritually ready for something like that and I am really wanting to focus on Christ in this stage of my life. Getting to know friends better, spending time with family and strengthening my relationship are things I have been doing, and I will continue to do for the rest of high school.
Goal in April: Getting a job, playing spring sports, spending time with friends, and being involved in my youth group are some of my most important goals. Investing in younger teenage girls, learning/continuing to practice guitar, continue blogging and keeping up with school work (all A's in high school is my ultimate goal) are also some other goals
Current goal/progress: So I did get a spring job umpiring for a local softball league we have around where I live. I have been doing some babysitting this year as well. Next summer (even early spring) it is my goal to start getting an actual job somewhere, but I'm not sure where yet. I will continue to play softball in the spring. I've been involved in my youth group to the point where I am head game leader and organize the games for our youth group. I am trying to be a leader spiritually as far as being a leader to the younger girls. I am learning and have made a ton of progress with guitar this year. Blogging has been consistent, and I hope it will continue to be and although I did end up getting a 91% (B+) in honors English last semester, my goal is to try to get all A's this year. The grading scale at my school changed (90% is an A-, 89% is B+) and honors classes have a .5 bump, and there is no reason why my best cannot be all A's this year. Although my overall goal was not accomplished (all A's), I know that each year doing my best may differ depending on the classes.
Goal in April: Keeping Christ as the center of my focus all throughout high school, and pleasing Him with all of my decisions is what is most important to me. I think it's very easy to lose track of who we are and what we are called to do in the everyday school influences, but as a result, it grows you closer to the Lord. In my opinion, school influences have influenced me in a positive way because of what they have taught me. Staying near to the Lord and surrounding myself with Christian friends who will always have the same focus is very important to me. I think there is a balance between having non-christian friends to witness to, and letting yourself get sucked in by those around you.
Current goal/progress: It's hard to mark spiritual progress just because a lot of times, it's hard to see it. I have seen how God has worked through the sin in my life this year to grow me closer to himself and to teach me more about His grace and mercy. From that perspective, I have grown immensely. But I can see so much more growing that needs to be done in my heart. I have to die to myself each day and remind myself that it isn't about me. My focus gets lost very easily. Currently I think my goal is to start up some consistent Bible studying with some Christian friends. I have been so inconsistent with studying His word recently. I have grown so much closer to friends that I have spiritual connections with since April, and it has been a tremendous blessing.
What are some goals you are going to try to accomplish in high school? How do your goals differ from ones you may have had earlier in your high school years?

I'm happy for you dear @your accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteNew post on :
http://dimplekhadi.blogspot.com/2015/11/faux-fur-trend-3-how-to-wear-skirt-in.html
sounds like you've been coming along pretty good, i'd say. yeah, i'm not even going to considering dating till i'm at least almost done with school... honestly, i think that would be really tough to handle both at once. that's so cool that you got to ump a softball league :)
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you're doing really well on your goals! I really need to make an official list of goals...agh, the unorganized mess that is my life.. xD
ReplyDeleteHello! I'm not sure I have commented much on your blog, but I'm glad to read your lovely words and meet you!
ReplyDeleteAlthough I am now in college, I love the practice of making goals. I've been making monthly goals, but your goals have inspired me to go a bit deeper in my goal making!
awesome! making goals is such a great thing, and always help me keep focused. i don't meet them all (most of the time hehe) but it makes my time so much more productive. xx
ReplyDelete