we all have those days where we feel like a piece of poop.
There is one thing that at least every person has that they don't like about themselves.
Sometimes I hate my face because it isn't clear, my hair is too frizzy and my makeup doesn't stay on the way I want it to. I sometimes feel like people are judging me because "wow she has so much acne, why can't she get it together?"
I tend to just look around and see all of these girls with clear faces, beautiful straight hair and makeup still fresh at 1pm.
Why do we spend so much time comparing our appearance to other people?
It is part of the fall.
Because we do live in a world of sin, we will never look completely perfect. That doesn't mean that you look bad though. Think about some of your closest friends. Think about what they look like right after they get up or right after they get out of the shower. To you, they look wonderfully beautiful. They obviously look different with/without makeup, but they don't look different at the same time...you see what I'm saying a little bit?
Society has an image of what perfect looks like...but guess what? I think it's a closed point of view when we think that everyone loves a girl that looks just like everyone else. Doesn't it get old seeing a bunch of white boys always dressing and looking the same? Being uniquely you is something that everyone admires, even if they don't always verbalize it.
you look different than the way you always see yourself.
You will never be able to see yourself the way that everyone around you sees you. All we ever see is our blemishes because we know our face so well. We aren't used to seeing anything else. The things that we may think are huge...nobody else even noticed.
I'm struggling with this too, but when you feel like a pimple is huge on your face or that your hair is frizzy today, remember a few things.
Remember.
1. We are believing lies pushed on us by Satan and the world if we believe that we are ugly. Don't let Satan start to control that part of your mind into believing that you are ugly...you are God's child, loved and made perfect in Him. The way your heart is does mean more than your outward appearance. It's said all the time, but it is something we may never want to believe. We will never find our true satisfaction for life in the way we look on the outside. Life is more than that.
2. We are wanting our own glory when we start wishing we looked like someone else. It's not bad to feel pretty, and in fact, our appearance is something we need to embrace. However, sometimes I want people to admire how good I look outside and it is for my own glory a lot of times.
1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
Continually dwelling on our appearance is something I'm still learning to let go of. It's a waste of time focusing too much on myself, when I should be an example of Christ. In the long term, my appearance shouldn't be holding me back from being myself and living for Christ.
The beauty of it is that God has a plan through our outside beauty to use that for his glory.
There is one thing that at least every person has that they don't like about themselves.
Sometimes I hate my face because it isn't clear, my hair is too frizzy and my makeup doesn't stay on the way I want it to. I sometimes feel like people are judging me because "wow she has so much acne, why can't she get it together?"
I tend to just look around and see all of these girls with clear faces, beautiful straight hair and makeup still fresh at 1pm.
Why do we spend so much time comparing our appearance to other people?
It is part of the fall.
Because we do live in a world of sin, we will never look completely perfect. That doesn't mean that you look bad though. Think about some of your closest friends. Think about what they look like right after they get up or right after they get out of the shower. To you, they look wonderfully beautiful. They obviously look different with/without makeup, but they don't look different at the same time...you see what I'm saying a little bit?
Society has an image of what perfect looks like...but guess what? I think it's a closed point of view when we think that everyone loves a girl that looks just like everyone else. Doesn't it get old seeing a bunch of white boys always dressing and looking the same? Being uniquely you is something that everyone admires, even if they don't always verbalize it.
you look different than the way you always see yourself.
You will never be able to see yourself the way that everyone around you sees you. All we ever see is our blemishes because we know our face so well. We aren't used to seeing anything else. The things that we may think are huge...nobody else even noticed.
I'm struggling with this too, but when you feel like a pimple is huge on your face or that your hair is frizzy today, remember a few things.
Remember.
1. We are believing lies pushed on us by Satan and the world if we believe that we are ugly. Don't let Satan start to control that part of your mind into believing that you are ugly...you are God's child, loved and made perfect in Him. The way your heart is does mean more than your outward appearance. It's said all the time, but it is something we may never want to believe. We will never find our true satisfaction for life in the way we look on the outside. Life is more than that.
2. We are wanting our own glory when we start wishing we looked like someone else. It's not bad to feel pretty, and in fact, our appearance is something we need to embrace. However, sometimes I want people to admire how good I look outside and it is for my own glory a lot of times.
1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
Continually dwelling on our appearance is something I'm still learning to let go of. It's a waste of time focusing too much on myself, when I should be an example of Christ. In the long term, my appearance shouldn't be holding me back from being myself and living for Christ.
The beauty of it is that God has a plan through our outside beauty to use that for his glory.
Amen, Lauren! This is a beautiful reminder. <3
ReplyDeleteBUT SERIOUSLY WHY DO ALL WHITE BOYS LOOK THE SAME????? LIKE???? //Please just change something//
ReplyDeleteBut mm yess. Man, this is so good. Isn't it so silly how our eyes always fall to ourselves? me, i, myself. /I/ think /I'm/ ugly. /God/ disagrees. Because flesh, flesh! Oh, it's what we're made of and it's what desires perfection in the wrong things. Galations 5:24-26 is a good verse to go along with this.
Let us learn to walk in the Spirit and live by the Spirit, Lauren girl. ♥♥ It's something I'm relearning with every breath.
I really needed this! Thanks for posting!
ReplyDeleteThank you SO SO SO much for this, Lauren!! I love this!!! Such a great reminder <3
ReplyDelete