August 21, 2015

The one about public and homeschooling

Shocka...I've been in both. 
So, from the age of kindergarten until 7th grade, I was home-schooled. 
I started public school and have been going there ever since.
I know there are a lot of views, arguments, opinions on what schooling Christians, or people in general should participate in. Please, I don't want to offend anyone and it's not my intent. I have a view from both sides, so I want to talk a little about it. 

Some take the viewpoint that those parents who put their kids in public school are blind to the fact that there kids shouldn't be there.
Some take the viewpoint that school is a place for evangelism, being a light to others, and homeschooling limits that.

I believe both of these are right, and both of these are wrong.

So I started *smack* in the middle of middle school.
I would never recommend you start your child in public school in middle school.
I also don't think that starting your kids off in kindergarten is the best idea either.

The thinking behind starting my siblings and I later in life was that my parents could teach us the values and about God's word.
I think it's SO important to do this.
It's pointless to be in public school if the person going there doesn't know who they are in Christ and want to please Him.
I wasn't exactly quite sure when I started, but I did grow closer to Christ as a result from my experience in middle school. That was God's plan for my life, but I don't think that's His plan for everyone.
It was a bit of culture shock for me, which shows you how much I had not been exposed to the real culture. Obviously, you have to pick the right time and place to expose kids to ideas, and teach them why it's right/wrong. But I didn't know much at all. I didn't have a basis for why bad words were bad, etc.

I believe that it's very important for kids to be in the public schools. Obviously there are clubs and sports outside of school that homeschoolers can make non-christian friends of, but it's harder to make relationships and really impact people. (And I can say this, I've been homeschooled)
But it doesn't mean it's not possible. And sometimes for certain students, having them stay home and influence non-Christians in other ways IS the best option. At the same time, Christians can be in public school and just go through their life, not impacting other people. Then, what's the point?


Honestly, whether you decide to homeschool or go to public school, impacting other people and showing them Christ's love should be our goal for life.

One form of schooling is not superior to the other.
I don't believe you should be homeschooled and never come in contact with non-believers though. I think witness and impacting others is very important. Yet, it's very important to grow in who you are in Christ. I think if you aren't in public school, you may not know how being in the midst of a secular campus can bring you closer to the Lord, just the same as if you stay at home.

I never think you should stereotype people.
Many people stereotype homeschooling Christians as sheltered people and easy work.
It's true, some of them are. But the majority aren't. I have some of the strongest Christian friends, who impact other people and homeschool at the same time :)
Many people stereotype public school Christians as fakes, snobby or think they're better because they go to public school.
It's SO true, a lot of people are like this. I know "Christians", who probably have professed Christ (I don't know their hearts), but don't act like it.
But there are some Christian public schoolers who are impacting others for Christ. I think if anything, the number has declined and we are in need of more.


No matter where you are going to school, are you loving others around you and showing Christ's love to them? Are you choosing to be influenced by those around you, or are you going to choose to be like Christ instead?
Both homeschoolers and public schoolers deal with the same type of things. Not exactly the same, but they are equally hard. And they will both draw us closer to the Lord if we let him.



thoughts? 

10 comments:

  1. This is a really thoughtful post, Lauren. I agree with you. I've been homeschooled all my life I know there are many benefits to it, but I still feel like I don't know many non-Christians. But I do know that you can impact non-Christians and be homeschooled. A lot of times, homeschoolers are stereotyped too, as extremely sheltered kids. I guess it's similar in that way. Great post!
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really interesting post, Lauren!!! I've been homeschooled since third grade, and I wouldn't change anything about how I've grown up, nor do I think that I'd ever like to go to public school. I can totally understand your points though. I haven't been around a ton of people who aren't Christians. But I've had so many incredible experiences through homeschooling, and I've grown so much through these opportunities. So I think that either form of schooling can be good, it really just depends on the person.
    xoxo
    Grace Anne // http://totallygraced.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with this, Laur. I homeschooled for a little while too, although not as long as you did, and public school definitely fits our family better. Thanks for this!

    xoxo
    ms

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been public schooled nearly all my life except for first and kindergarten, when I went to private school, and I do know people who believe in God, but they don't go to church and rather go home and just say prayers. But even to the smallest degrees we Christians in public school do go and make a difference on non-Christians-- but you are right; we are in need of more of us in public school.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been in public school my entire school career, and that was the right path for me. But since I'm not Christian either, I can't tell you if it is hard for Christians in public school. One thing that I do notice is that faith is barely discussed, at all. At school, it's hard to tell a Christian from a non-believer apart, besides the occasional cross necklace. Their behavior is the same.

    In general, homeschool and public school both have their pros and cons. But for Christains in particular, I can say with 99% certainty that is important to be around non-Christians as well as Christians. (This goes for any faith as well, ex. Jewish people should be around a balance of other Jews as well as non-Jews). Why? In public school, faith is hardly discussed, so it is tough for Christians to find other Christians. And often, the other Christians they do find aren't very devoted. This can be very discouraging, as it is so nice to have friends from the same faith that you can lean on and bond over the love of your God.

    Homeschool/ homeschool group is a great solution for this. A lot of homeschool groups are focused on one faith, and it is so much easier to learn about your Holy Writings and God. That being said, if a person isn't exposed to non-Christians, they will miss some valuable opportunities to learn about other cultures and meet some more amazing people. Also, only being exposed to one faith can lead to ignorance and hatefulness toward other faiths, even though Christ teaches against this. It is also not so great to be sheltered from other faiths all your life because it will be harder when you get thrown out into the world, which is really religiously diverse.

    So that's why a balance is best. If you choose public school, continue to stay close to your church buddies and find other devoted people like you. If you choose homeschool, make sure you're exposed to other faiths as well.

    Sorry for the super long comment, this was just such a thought-provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lauren, I've read this whole thing and I have to say you're a very talented writer. I've gone to public school since I was about 3 or something, and I understand where you're coming from. Homeschooled Christians shouldn't be judged. I believe in God as well :)

    Check out my blog? Your choice ~ shinenelevate.blogspot.co.uk

    Rukiya XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. i went to public school for kinder & first, homeschooled until eighth, and then my parents put me back in the system for high school. i really like it...i've gotten the best of both worlds, i've seen both sides of the spectrum, i know who i am, and i know who i want to be, regardless of what other people think.

    yeah...i probably would NOT start my children in public middle school haha...but it's fab that you grew closer to God and your family as a result!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a good post Lauren - I believe that both public school and home school is great depending on who you are. Personally I've always wanted to go to public school because I thought it'd be a great way to share God's love, but I've learned there's many ways to do that - He gives you the chance. I have many friends who go to public school so I get to see both sides of the coin. Each way of learning is special. I love home school and it's been amazing for me! =)
    Great post and thanks for dropping by on Saved by Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaagh, so much good stuff here oh my goodness. I can imagine it must have been an intense experience transferring from homeschool to public school, but that is so amazing that it brought you closer to God and helped you grow. And you're right -- every person is different in this way and that's why God has given us and our parents intuition so that we'll know what is best.
    I've been homeschooled my whole life, and I'd have to say that the most important thing my parents have taught me is how loving our Father is -- and that absolutely everyone needs to know this. I'm certainly not charging off to preach the gospel in a pushy, deliberate way, but I believe that God has put his light in us to shine on everyone we come in contact with -- even if I don't mention to certain people that I'm a follower of Christ, I hope to touch everyone I meet with His light.
    Impacting and inspiring people has become my soul purpose in life. I want to be the kind of person God created me to be -- and I don't think I'd have that motivation if I wasn't homeschooled. So yes, I'm ranting (ack!) but it's so important and true... we are shaped by the little things in life -- the difficult, uncomfortable, but rewarding little things. Lovely, lovely, post Lauren!! ♥

    love,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥