Obviously there are really obnoxious things about teens and obviously they are very immature at times. But I think there are a whole lotta things that parents and adults do that are just irritating.
This is all in good fun, I do appreciate so many of the adults that are in my life. But I also think that adults are blind to some things as they forget what it is like to be a teenager.
1. Expect every teen to watch their kids
I love parents and adults who don't come over to your house and expect you to play with their kids every.single.minute.ever. I don't like it when you are not respected as a person and because you're a teen you are automatically the babysitter-so-the-moms-can-talk. Now don't get me wrong, I love kids. But I don't love having to watch them every. single. time. you. come. over.
2. Try to be your parent
I have a mom and dad for a reason, and I don't need you to be the parent. You don't need to try to barge into the lives of teenagers and force your opinions on them, even though their parents are the ones who are involved in their life in this way. Thanks though. Now granted if someone doesn't have a parent, I understand the need to be more involved in their life. But sometimes when an adult who isn't the parent tries to be controlling like a parent, it never ends well.
3. Use "back before I had kids" negatively
Just wanted to let you know in case you forgot...you chose to have kids.
I understand that having kids comes with sacrifice since you can't do as many things since you have children. And I totally understand that you want to get away from your kids sometimes. But please, I hate when parents talk about their children like they're a burden or something.
4. those who are anti teenage dating
I don't need adults continually telling me how much they don't agree with teenage dating. I totally get you considering where this society is at today. However, for a lot of teens, including my cousin who is a senior, has a wonderful heart behind dating. And you never know the true heart of someone else. Whether or not you agree with high school dating, that is your personal opinion. For me, that is something my parents and I can discuss. I can talk to God about whether or not I am going to make that choice when the time comes. You have no idea how much prayer and wisdom has been poured into a situation behind the scenes. There are still kids left who makes decisions based on what God wants them to do and just because dating as a teenager wasn't God's plan for your life, it doesn't mean it isn't His plan for someone else. (granted it usually isn't, but it still annoys me when adults are SO anti dating and nothing will change their minds)
5. "When you you're older you'll understand"
I'm just not even really sure what you're supposed to say to this one.
We aren't going to understand everything. I just think that a lot of parents don't realize how much their kids do understand.
And there is always an older generation that can say the same thing to you.
And there is always an older generation that can say the same thing to you.
What do you think?

Ah, I totally agree with all of these!
ReplyDeleteThese are literally perfect! I always feel bad thinking this way and yet... we are people too!! Its not disrespect to be honest, either. Older people and younger will always have a certain... I don't know. But admitting it on BOTH sides is something helpful I think. Thanks for this honest post <3
ReplyDeleteI totally agree!
ReplyDeleteNabila // Hot Town Cool Girl
Yes! So relatable! :P
ReplyDeleteAllie D.
www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com
100% agree. So true so true
ReplyDeleteI agree with all of these, but I definitely texted my friend the first one you wrote, and she agreed-- a lot of her family lives with her, including her aunts and uncles, but her relatives force her to look after their kids while they recline on the couch or go party. It's a pretty rough situation for her, but she's working it out.
ReplyDeletexoxo Morning
I can especially relate to the last one. It has such a condescending tone to it, like I won't be able to understand until I've reached the experience level of the other person. Um, excuse me? Rude.
ReplyDelete