May 17, 2016

the idol of friendship

photo via pinterest 

Don't we all idolize this idea of a best friend that we can "do" life with daily and that will be our side for every Friday night, every shopping spree and every spring break? 
If we aren't careful, our best friend or our quest to find a best friend can become our idol.
Emotional dependence is something common in today's society, and is something I am struggling with myself.

What is the balance between having a great, godly friendship with someone and an idolized emotional dependence?

As girls, we are more prone to share every little detail with other girls and we process emotions and thoughts with each other.
These relationships cannot replace or take the place of Christ in our lives.
When we feel joy, fear, whatever it is, we should run to Christ first. 

How often do we tend to just go to the first person that is willing to listen? 

The way you can know if you are too emotionally dependent on someone else depends on this:
If you feel like you can't really go through hard times or struggles without processing it through your friend, there is a problem.
Our sharing with our friends and emotional connections with others should be an outflow of our relationship with Christ and not the replacement of it. 
Everything in our lives is supposed to be a reflection of what we have in Christ. Now just as I'm writing this post, I'm discovering how much I need to process in my own life what I've just written. 
So tell me:


How can you make changes in your friendships to closer glorify Christ? 

6 comments:

  1. Excellent thoughts, Lauren! This isn't always easy to remember because friends are a wonderful blessing and life wouldn't be the same without them. However, if we ever feel like, "I can't live without this person" then we've gone too far. Not only that, but we rob ourselves of joy when we try to find it in the things and people of this world, instead of where it actually is, in Christ. :)

    Dani xoxo
    a vapor in the wind

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents taught me at a young age to make my relationship with Christ more important than relationships with other people. I'm forever grateful for that as there have been many "friends" who ended up turning on me, but Christ was (and is) still there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this post is just perfection! Thank you for sharing this truth. <3 <3

    Sophia xx
    A Lantern In Her Hand
    The Inkpot Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, this is...convicting. I do tend to tell my close friends everything, and, I'm not saying that's necessarily bad, but yes, I agree that when I'm not running to Christ FIRST, it is bad. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey lauren! i nominated you for the "text tag" on my blog, sincerely allie.

    Allie D.
    www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
    www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
    www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
    www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been there. There is so much pressure on the best friend idea and when I lost a friend that's where I really thought about the whole "best friend" concept.

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥