I had never felt such a strong and close Christian community within our youth group than I did last weekend.
There are so many benefits to real and raw Christian community that I wanted to share.
The thing is, having true Christian community isn't always an easy thing and every since I've been in youth group, this closeness had not yet occurred until last weekend. The closeness must occur as a result of God opening the hearts of those present and a bonded trust with the other people in the group. Everyone has to be willing to open themselves in a vulnerable way which means that a trust must be created through the people in this community.
1. Community encourages you to become more like Jesus.
In Hebrews 3 we are called to encourage one another as long as it is called today. One of the best ways to be encouraged is through a community of believers that reflect Christ. Seeing other people seeking to honor Christ with their lives is encouraging in a world where self is put above all else.
(Hebrews 3:13)
2. Community reveals your gifts and talents
This weekend as we took the three hour drive home, we went around and initially were going to highlight each of the individual's personal talents. It turned into highlighting the things we admired in each person and it turned into a complimenting fest. Each individual has a place in the body of Christ and it is important to know that you are significant to the community of believers.
(1 Corinthians 12:12)
3. Community helps meet our need for love
Even though Christ can only fulfill our deepest need for love, God gives us the gift of loving one another. The brotherly love (phileo) we show to other people is a representation of Christ who was the greatest friend who laid down His life for us. We are called to love one another in this beautiful way to once again be a reflection of Christ.
(John 11:35-36)
4. Community teaches you forgive and to work through conflicts
Yes, community is wonderful and full of love, however, this world isn't perfect and we are on a journey to becoming more like Christ. When you are with a mix of different types of people with different personalities who love each other deeply, hurt and misunderstandings are going to occur. Even though this is a hard part of community, it makes us more like Him, which is the ultimate goal in the first place anyways.
We are called to be an united Body and this concept is not always a natural tendency. This causes us to have to lay down our pride and become humble and it enhances our communication skills. Christ uses the hard elements of situations to teach and grow us.
(1 Cor. 1:10 and 1 Peter 4:8-11)
So the fact is, our youth group has come a long way in creating vulnerable, Christian community.
How have you been influenced by Christian community?

beautiful post! i'm influenced by Christian community constantly by my youth group :) i have some really close friends within the youth group, as well as everyone that's apart of it is like one big band of siblings. we're constantly encouraging and mentoring each other, something i really didn't have at my last youth group. it's really special.
ReplyDeletexoxo,
m.
Aw, that's so special! I feel the same way about the people in my influence :)
DeleteLove this post, Lauren! <3
ReplyDelete(Also, I nominated you for The Happy Tag on my blog if you're interested!)
Sophia xx | lantern-in-her-hand.blogspot.com
Aw thanks Sophia, I'm flattered you nominated me :) I don't usually do tags but I'll check it out!
Deleteso, so true. this post made me really sit back and think, Lauren. I don't really have a lot of friends, just a few close ones, and honestly, the few times i experience something so beautiful like you mentioned here....the feeling is priceless. But for the most part i don't really get that exposure, and i feel that that's okay, because that's where i am and GOD has me here and He'll carry me through <3
ReplyDeleteOh I love that so much. And it's true, God is the one who will bring us through and it's been hard to believe that in my own life when youth group was a mess: it is a reminder when things are smooth now that youth group is not like, I don't know; what keeps us going I guess. It's Christ, youth group is just a small tool that he uses in different ways, sometimes it's to grow us into more patient people as I believe it kinda was/still is for me!
DeleteHey Lauren :D I've nominated You for the Liebster Award!
ReplyDelete-mic
I have never been influenced by Christian community, however, I find it is not just Christian communities that create this sense of love and securirty. At my Unitarian Universalist youth group, there is again this same kind of sense, as well as with any group of close friends I have the pleasure to encounter. It is this lovely feeling of togetherness and family, that teaches you about love and patience. It is so beautiful/
ReplyDelete