February 28, 2016

Book Review // Keep it Shut

One of my goals for the month of February, just like in January, was to read two books. I am so happy to announce that I met this goal (but unfortunately, I didn't do so well on some of the others...)! The second book I read this month was Keep it Shut by Karen Ehman, and it is a must read for anyone who struggles with words. Even though going into this book I didn't really think I struggled with my words that much, I was definitely convicted of how many sins can be committed with my words.
There are so many different aspects that impact our words, and many different ways that the choice of words, or rather lack of words, can impact situations.
There are a few main points from this book that I wanted to share today because they really challenged me to think about the way I interact with other people with my words. Because I sure sin in the area of words all the time. 

1. The tongue speaks what the heart is full of.  
Yes, a lot of times words can just fly out of our mouth without us giving much thought to them, but that does not subtract the fact that those words are coming from our heart.
When our heart is reflecting on Christ and not the world, our words will be life giving. When our heart is focused on Christ, our words will reflect that.

2. Stop filling the gap & learn to listen
Oh, this. How I needed to be reminded of this. I need to obey the command in James 1 that commands us to be "slow to speak and quick to listen". Our words will mean more to other people when we use them sparingly and really listen to what they have to say. Not to mention, it shows that we love and respect them.

3. Talk to God before others
More prayer means less gossip. How easy it is to fall into the trap of either gossip or slander! (If you haven't really thought about slander and the way our words can be used in a sinful way through it, you should definitely pick this book up!)
One of the ways we can accomplish this is by surrounding ourselves with like-minded friends, watch our intake and also making prayer a daily priority. (Check out the example of Daniel!)

4. Contain Your Anger
I had never really thought about the verse in Ephesians 4:26 that says in your anger, do not sin. 
Yes, it is possible to have righteous anger, and anger is not always a negative emotion. However, anger often leads to sin. If you tend to use your words harshly when you are angry, one of the reminders in this book was to say, Hang on a second. I gotta die. Take a moment and die to the sinful ways you may react to the anger in your heart. Daily dying to yourself is something you have to do in order to use your words in a way that is glorifying to God.

5. Use your words in wonderful ways
"The character quality I admire most..."
"You remind me of Jesus when you..."
One of the things the author had done was to pierce her ears/wear a toe ring to remind her to use her words to glorify Christ and the idea of being a slave to righteousness. (There's a lot of history behind this idea found in the book, and I loved the idea so much!)


2 Timothy 2:16, "Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly." 
Proverbs 17:28, "Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues." 

Proverbs 16:24, "Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." 

Colossians 4:5-6, "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation always be full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."  

This book was such a challenging reminder to be praying, keeping quiet and using only words filled with grace. This was especially an important reminder for me since I have a dry sense of humor that can sometimes have a negative underlying tone, therefore I really need to be careful. I also need to be more careful with gossip and not talking about others in way that will cause others to look upon others in a negative way.


What books have you been reading this month? 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book! I also love your idea on how to display blogs you follow and support! Going to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a cool book! I'll have to look into getting my hands on a copy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds amazing! Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kinda wanna go pick this up now....

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAYY for meeting the book goal! I too just finished an impactful book called Simply Tuesday and I will review it soon. But this book sounds amazing and so applicable!

    I think that I struggle most with speaking too much. I just love to talk and entertain and put people at ease, but I want to learn how to listen. I do find so much joy in encouraging others, but sometimes I speak simply to speak. Thanks for the reminder!

    By the way, I nominated you for the Infinity Dreams Award!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this book sounds really interesting and helpful! The struggle is so real when it comes to our words -- we need those constant reminders to be true to ourselves in Christ, constantly reflecting him. Because we are, after all, made in His image. :) Great review, Lauren!!

    love,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren, I have SO been loving your posts lately. So, so many encouraging (and convicting) words that my heart needs to hear! I will definitely look into this book! I love the imagery in "laced with grace," and I think it's a perfect way to describe what a Christian's speech should sound like. Thanks for this reminder and all the encouraging words :)

    msr

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished this book in January! It was soooooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished this book in January! It was soooooo good :)

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥