There are a lot of people that can easily memorize anything and everything. If you're anything like me, I can easily memorize something I hear a bunch of times over and over again (song lyrics, for example!), but if I just have to memorize a list of facts for school or memorize a group of verses, it can be hard to get them down.
Memorizing Scripture is something that I have to admit, I only do when I have "time". I think memorizing scripture is something that I need to do more often, and so this post might be helpful and challenging for you, but I am also typing it out to challenge myself!
Reasons Why We should Memorize Scripture:
1. It will help you overcome temptations
Certain verses that you memorize such as Philippians 4:8 which says, "Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise," can help you overcome temptations that you may have to think about things that are untrue or not honorable. The reason I memorized this verse was so that I can focus my thoughts on God, because ultimately he is the most admirable thing. It is easy to let our thoughts be totally random (that's okay sometimes!), but it can be good to focus your thoughts sometimes.
2. It will strengthen our relationship with Christ
The more that we read the scripture and continue to dwell on it (aka when we memorize it and recite it in our minds later!), the more that we will know and develop a relationship with Christ. Just as you may dwell and remember the uplifting words that a friend gives you, the same thing can happen with God's Word!
So there's just a few reasons why we should memorize scripture, and here's a few tips to doing it!
4 Tips to Memorizing Scripture
1. Make it Personal
Sometimes the biggest struggle is finding a verse to memorize in the first place. Making it personal will help you remember it easier. Obviously verses in Genesis 41:20 that talk about ugly cows aren't going to stick in our brains very easily.
Some of the best things to memorize are Psalms, which can be used to praise God if we have a spare moment, or a verse that specifically reminds you of how to be living a life honoring to the Lord.
2. Create A Schedule
Pick a certain time of the day that you will review/memorize a new piece of scripture.
3. Don't memorize it all at once
It isn't a contest for who can memorize the most because that ultimately isn't the reason for memorizing scripture. Pick a number of verses (as a goal) for how many verses you will memorize a week, that way you aren't bombarded with twenty verses to remember on top of each other each week.
4. Write it Down
Write down the verse somewhere where you can reflect on it throughout the day. (Your phone, mirror, in your Bible, in a journal, etc) This will not only help you keep it personal, but it will be a daily reminder that you can keep that verse on your mind.
I hope these tips are helpful! This week, I'm going to focus on memorizing Hebrews 12:1-3 because of this particular section:
"And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith."
Memorizing scripture is hard. I'm going to try to use these tips, especially "make it personal."
ReplyDeletexoxo Morning
So true! These are great tips! What's crazy is that I was on my way to go work on memorizing something from the Bible when I remembered that I hadn't checked your blog for a while. God has good timing! :) Thanks! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteSome interesting tips here! I especially love "create a schedule." I am often just overwhelmed by it all and try to do it all at once. It never works out!
ReplyDeleteEmily | Lynde Avenue
These are great tips! I will be using these! I nominated you for the You Are Amazing And So Is Your Blog Award!
ReplyDelete*Hannah*
A Southern Girls Life