2 Corinthians 10:12 says, "But they are only comparing themselves with each other, using themselves as the standard of measurement. How ignorant."
I'm very guilty of this. I tend to say:
Well, at least I'm like like *such and such* who is dating a non-christian.
At least I'm not like him...he just puts on a Christian face when he's at Church
At least I don't say bad words or listen to unclean music like some of those people do.
I don't say those things to "justify" my sins, but I do usually do it to make myself feel better.There are so many sins that I struggle with in my life, and just because I may not be sinning in the same ways as other people do, it doesn't mean I'm any better! God's love doesn't fluctuate based on our actions, but He does want us to honor him.
By comparing ourselves to other people it can lead to unrealistic expectations, jealously and even pride.
Sometimes I'll compare myself to other people in these ways:
Why doesn't *such and such* seem to talk to me, but he'll talk to *such and such*?
Why can't I have a nice wardrobe like her?
Why can't I have 50 followers on my blog like that blogger?
These are just as bad, and is another example of why we can't compare ourselves to the world's standards, but we have to compare ourselves to God's standards, and His Word alone.
Even if we compare ourselves to godly people,who we want to take after and have the same strong relationship with Christ as they do, we still are trying to meet the standards of a "good Christian" according to the world.
When I start to compare my outside appearance with that of the world, and even my personality and my heart, I think to a couple of verses.
Isaiah 45:9, "Does the clay say to the potter, 'What are you making?' Does your work say, 'The potter has no hands?"
We can't rebuke or ask the Creator of the Universe why he created us to look this way, when in fact he loves you just the way that you are. He created you, inside and out for His purpose to be done in your life.
I think the best way to deal with this issue is to take it over to God. Like I said, the relationship you have with Christ may not come in the same form or look the same as another person, but that doesn't mean that he loves you any less. God understands our struggles and if we take the issue of comparing ourselves to him, He will help us through them.
Memorizing scripture on the character of the Lord is very important and also how we are called to live our lives in accordance with God's Word.
I hope you guys have a wonderful weekend, and please tell me what you think about this post :)

Lovely post!
ReplyDeleteAnother amazing post, Lauren! God has really given you a gift for writing thoughtful, spiritual posts like these. Keep it up!!!:)
ReplyDeleteIt's so hard to end up not comparing ourselves to other people. Honestly, I have four people in my life that I love dearly and who I look up to, literally and in that non-literally sense, because they are taller and they have things that I sometimes wish I have. They're all good friends. And it's honestly hard to get over it-- I try to so much not to let thoughts poison my brain. Great post!
ReplyDeletexoxo Morning
Oh, thats a really hard thing for me! I know 2 girls in my drama class that are perfectly flawless in their fashion choices and everything they do it seems like! They are so slim and do their hair in really cute hairstyles, they seem to have everything together. And I seem to be the girl who is horrible at doing hair, awkward, and always wears thrift store clothing thats out of date and anything other than the latest fashion trends. Thats something that I have been working on to just be concerned on what God thinks of me, and how beautiful I am for Him on the inside. Your post was really encouraging and made me think! <3
ReplyDeleteClara
This post really made me think. God is so amazing. <3
ReplyDelete