~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
![]() |
| Via Pinterest |
Whoever won the contest would receive a full year scholarship to whatever college they were choosing to go to the next year and the title of King of the Year.
"This isn't just any old competition," Annie told me, the first time I was introduced to the contest, "People's lives are at stake here."
My eyes widened. "Are you serious?"
"Well...nobody gets killed, but people can get pretty intense." She grinned. "It's really entertaining to watch."
I had never been to the King Contest before, and I was already astonished about how amazing the atmosphere and the people were there. Tents were set up all across the yard and streamers filled the stage.
Walking over to my best friend Natalie, who was super outgoing compared to myself, I asked her what we were supposed to do next.
"After the gun shot, everyone votes for who will go first in the competition. Each person has a candle, and when the announcer calls out the person that you want to see go first, you hold it up. That way, the person with the most amount of votes gets to go first. No guy wants to go first because the first one to go always has it the hardest!" Natalie laughed and then started rattling on about something else completely random.
Anxious, my palms started to become sweaty as I thought about who I should vote for. There were so many seniors.
Easing my way through the crowd, I grabbed a piece of silk paper that had the names of the candidates on it. Glancing at each photo, none of the people caught my eye.
Rushing over to the voting competition,I had no idea of who I was going to vote for.
"Peter." Two candles went up.
"Josiah." Five candles went up.
"Matt." Twenty candles went up.
"Johnny." Thirty candles went up.
"Casey." Thirty candles went up, and I hadn't voted yet.
"Looks like we have a tie!" Yelled the announcer. "Has anyone not voted?"
I raised my hand sheepishly. You weren't allowed to leave the contest without voting, and if they figured out you had not placed your vote...well, nobody knew what would happen because nobody had dared to try.
All eyes looked at me to see who I would vote for to break the tie. My stomach churned filled with emotions, and I knew that I was going to make some enemies no matter what choice I made and I had put myself in a bad situation. I had to make the decision to vote for Johnny, who was known as a jock, or Casey, who was a nerd that everyone disliked. I knew that either way, people would be upset with my decision.
I put my head in my hands.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Look for the second part coming soon :)

So excited for part 2! Great job!
ReplyDeleteWhoa! Most more, please!!! :)
ReplyDeletexoxo Morning
I really like this and can't wait for part two!
ReplyDelete