January 20, 2015
Living In The Moment
Let's be completely honest here for a second.
Are you honestly content with where you are and with what day it is?
If you're anything like me, you'll say, "haha...nope! But I wish I was!"
Everyday we seem to wish away the moments that could be used doing something useful, and we think if only it was _____. You fill in the blank. I would fill it in with summer, or the weekend, or once I'm out of high school.
It's so hard to live in the moment, but I think that is something that God calls us to do.
First of all, we are called to be content with where the Lord has placed us.
Philippians 4:11 is one of my favorite passages:
".... for I have learned in whatever situation I am in to be content."
Ouch. That verse makes me cringe at the same time. I'm not content with where I am, and I most certainly wouldn't choose myself to be in the middle of a long, dreary school week when I'm wishing it was the weekend.
I try to think of this:
Imagine there is a bank account that credits your account with $86,400. It carries over no balance from day to day....what would you do? Draw out every cent, of course? Each of us has such a bank, it's name is TIME. Every morning, it credits you 86,400 seconds. You must live inthe present on today's deposits. The clock is running.
It's so hard to be content sometimes, but we really do need to focus on living in the moment. Lots of people I've heard say that they wish they had been more productive with their teenage years. There is so much that we can accomplish and do every moment of everyday, and we can do everything to the glory of God. We should be so thrilled to get up everyday and glorify Christ.
I can't say I'm ever excited to get up for school at 6am, but I am grateful that God has put me in a position where he can use me to positively impact others and hopefully show them the only example of Christ they may ever run across.
What I've been struggling with a lot lately is wasting the week and only wishing for the weekend. There's nothing wrong with wanting it to be the weekend so I can have time with my Christian friends, but the reality is I am around these non-christian friends for a reason.
This is definitely easier said than done though. My Christian friends are sooo wonderful and they really encourage me to continue to live for Christ.
I do really think that our Church and my Christian friends should get together more just because otherwise we can really get weighed down by the non-christian influences though. But that certainly isn't an excuse to waste the week.
I've also been struggling with wishing I could be out of high school (those long hours from 7am until about 3pm) and actually serving God with all this stupid time that's wasted at school.
The best way I've learned to cope with this complaint is to think about school as a "mission field". Not all adults get the privilege to be able to impact the next generation of kids that are growing up,while we are stuck in the middle of it, and we could be a huge light.
Reading through the New Testament brought a verse to my mind from Matthew 5.
Matthew 5:15 says, "Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house."
This parable that Jesus used is a reminder to let your light shine so that all men can see it.
In fact, going to a secular high school may be just as good of a mission field as going overseas to minister.
It's not as fun, but it's the truth.
In what ways do you live in the moment and seek to be a light for the nonbelievers around you instead of waiting until you are "older" to serve and develop a stronger relationship for and with God?
I would really like to hear anything that you do :) It's so hard to live in the moment!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I've been thinking about this a lot, actually. And strangely, I don't mind. I'm living right now for God and this time, I don't think it's a waste of time. Because I am here for a reason and I'll do whatever I can while I wait on God to take me to the next place.
ReplyDeleteSo yeah. Usually I'm like, "I'm spending all day DOING NOTHING. Why am I ere in this useless position?" But not lately. :-)
Thank you, Lauren! It's a beautiful reminder.
I'm living for God now and always. Sometimes I forget that he should be the main focus in my life and I think that your blog will help me focus on our Creator. Thanks for reminding me Lauren!
ReplyDeleteYou're right that we should all seize the day, become exactly what we want to be at where we want to be, step by step. Be productive. I'm a teen, and I shouldn't waste my youth doing nothing to help me in the future.
ReplyDelete-M
The Life of Little Me
School as a mission field is a good way of looking. School has always been such a chore or me. :) Wonderful message! I should really start thinking about school that way! Your posts are such an example to me! <3
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard to be content with what's happening in our lives because we're always looking elsewhere. It's difficult in my case especially, since I always daydream about the past and the future and don't realize the amazing things happening in my life until it slaps me right in the face. By then, it's too late. I'm going to try to think about life like this-- and school-- in this onset, because school ends up feeling like, "Get up. SCHOOOL. Go home. Study. Bed."
ReplyDeletexoxo Morning
this is true, i often tend to wish time away in turn for something more exciting! It's important to live the moment now xx
ReplyDeleteemilyjanewebb.blogspot.co.uk
This is so true... I often go throughout the week, wishing for something better to do, and not living in the moment and this was such a powerful reminder to me.. thank you for allowing God to use you to shine for others! love your blog.. cant wait to read more! :) Xx
ReplyDeleteI'd usually thought of 'living in the moment' as a worldly thing, like what they tell you to do at parties. But the way you put it, it makes sense. We always tend to wish for more than we have, but we forget about what we have now. Thank you for the amazing post, Lauren!
ReplyDelete