January 30, 2015

Lessons I've Learned From my Friends

God has used people in my life to teach me greater lessons, and I want to share a few of those with you today. Each friendship that God has placed in you life is there from a reason. Even if the lesson you learned is a negative one, it will help grow you and help you make better choices later on. 
1. Friendships can become idols 
Sometimes trying to achieve a friendship with a person can become an idol in your life. There was a set of about three people, two boys and a girl, that I really wanted to be friends with. That resulted in putting this above God, and even though it really was a healthy thing, I was elevating them. I also thought that I would be completely happy if I had these people as my friends. I realized that NOTHING, not even friendships can take the place of Christ, and how quickly friendships can move to a elevated spot. I'm now friends with them and I am so blessed by them. I'm thankful that God revealed that tendency early on so that I could have so much freedom knowing that my relationship Christ is everything I need and I don't need to be someone I'm not to gain a friendship with them.

2. Be careful with what friends you hang out with all the time 
If you don't balance the time that you spend with non-Christian friends and Christian friends, friends can start to influence you in negative ways. You may think you are strong enough to resist temptations that they may bring up, but you can quickly justify things faster than you ever imagined. Once you justify one thing (even little things), it can lead to forsaking some of your biggest values. This happened to be in 7th grade when some of the friendships that I developed didn't encourage me to make good decisions at all, and I definitely learned a lot of lessons from this one specific relationship. Get out of a really close friendship if you know that when you are around those people, you either 1) feel like you have to prove yourself or 2) start to do things you've never done before anywhere else. Friendships impacts aren't always negative, but you can usually tell when they aren't benefiting you. 

3. Communication is key in friendships 
Miscommunication ruins relationships. Not only is there does this breed misinterpretations, walls can be built up in friendships and what you thought as the strongest relationship ever can fade into nothing. The one thing that I have found that usually leads to miscommunication is talking about serious issues over text message, and also texting late at night. Always try to talk through things with people, even if it is over video chat. This will help keep the communication flowing. There was a period of time where this happened to one of my closest relationships, due to misinterpretations over test about certain subjects. I think God was really at work there because He led me to talk to my friend about it and not go to bed with walls in our relationship one night longer. Communication is key in all relationships, not just romantic ones.   

These are just a few of the things that God has used through my friends to grow me. Friends are so wonderful and really do encourage and grow us in so many ways. They can bring out the best in us, and help us through our worst. Even through all of that, God is the friend that will never leave us. 
John 15:13 says, "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends."
Aren't you so thankful that God laid down his life for us, even when we were unworthy and unwilling to give up our lives? 

What are some of the biggest lessons that God has taught you through your friends? 

11 comments:

  1. This is a lovely post. So true....I think the biggest thing I've been learning is the importance that communication has on our friendships and how we should be very intentional about that.

    xx Lorraine from Laurel Crowned

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree and relate with everything you said on this post-- I have people who I wish to be friends with that I am friends with now, but there are a particular set of four (what is it with the number four and me?) that I yearn to be friends with but they never really take any interest in me. And communication with friendships-- we have to be careful, especially today, because social media seems to replace talking communication, and that can be a big hindrance.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I agree I have wanted to be friends with a group but they don't welcome me or lets say take intrest in me I guess. Also i added your button.

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miscommunication is definitely a very big problem. Any fight or issue can be resolved through communication, and that is always best done face to face or on the phone, talking. Texting is always misinterpreted.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very thought provoking, Lauren! You are very mature in your toughest! I really look up to you as a blogger! <3
    Clara

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very truthful and though provoking post, Lauren. It's so true, communication is such a key factor in relationships. And I have done that so many times - put tohers before God. And when i write that, it looks like something I would say, "What? Of course i would never do that." But it's so easy to fall and do that. Lovely post <3

    Autumn
    autumnreadsandwritesallday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. This is exactly what I need right now, like seriously it's likek you came looked at my life and gave me great advice. I Love your blog so much! Please never stop blogging. I nominated you for the You Are Amazing and So Is Your Blog Award, you can view my post here: http://bethanysbrightlife.blogspot.com -Bethany!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had your lovely blog up in my browser for a while among about twenty for school and assignments, hehe, and am glad to finally get a chance to comment :) I love this post. You wrote it with such wisdom and I found myself thinking "How true!" at your words. I can relate so much and appreciated your wise thoughts, especially the second lesson you talked about.
    I think that each one is helpful to anyone, but we as high school and college age girls because this area of our lives is one we put a lot of focus on as we try to get a feel for who the Lord intends to be in our lives and who he doesn't.

    Wonderful post :) Thank you also for your sweet comment on my blog, which I'm glad led me to yours.
    Have a blessed day!
    ~Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I've never thought about friends as idols, but this is very thought provoking.
    Thanks for posting this.
    Sophia
    someplaceinthemidst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this post!
    True, true, and true! Thinking before I type is something I am trying to work on. I also struggle with having guys as *just friends*. Odd request, but could you maybe do a post on having guys as friends? Assumptions are so easily made, unfortunately, when it comes to having guys as friends. And then comes drama, because who doesn't love drama! :(
    Friends as idols is another biggie. Today (block day), in orchestra we split up into little groups of two. For the entire 90 minutes, me and the senior girl I was with just talked about friends. She said that high school is the only time that we work hard to fit in. In 4 years, I'll only know a small handful of them (remember, I'm at a Christian school, so the majority go to Christian colleges. Side note - about half of my class will likely end up at Taylor or Wheaton. I'm assuming you know a few people that go to Taylor since you're in Indiana. I live 2 blocks away from the Wheaton campus so that's why. :) ). And in 8 years, the popular people will know 1-2 friends from high school if they are lucky. I know it seems like it, but having lots of friends in high school isn't the end-all. She also said that the good Christian kids that are up there on the social latter really aren't what teachers think they are. The senior guys that seem like amazing leaders are pretty jerky. They make fun of girls behind their backs and swear a little. Same goes for girls. This girl is athletic and gorgeous and so sweet, and I do trust her experience with that crowd. :)
    ^ that was all pretty incoherent. hopefully you can get the jist. :)

    I'm praying for you, Lauren! I'm so blessed that God brought you into my internet-life. :)
    Hope you're having a good semester so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we need to be careful with who we become friends with because oftentimes if you aren't careful they can lead you into some pretty nasty things. I definitely look for someone who loves Jesus and shares what I believe.
    www.myblue-stripedumbrella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

please, leave a comment. I love them ♥