This story was inspired from "Everything Has Changed" by Taylor Swift and what that song means in my life. After the missions trip to Utah, I would listen to that song a lot because it was one of the songs that me and my best friends would sing to while we were driving through the mountains. Whenever I listen to that song now, it reminds me of the change that has occurred since then and all of the things I learned from it. I hope you enjoy, and please comment and suggestions on what I can do to improve it! <3
![]() |
| Via Pinterest |
Nyssa rolled over in bed, her sheets tucked around her, trying to continue a wonderful dream that she had been having. Sighing, she rolled over and managed to open her eyes to look at the clock. The smell of warm spring air drifted in through the window that was open in her bedroom, and the sunlight filled the room with warm rays of sunshine. From the kitchen of her parents house, she could smell bacon frying in the skillet. Her dad was famous for his delicious bacon strips that were cooked in a "special formula". Pulling herself out of bed, she went into her closet and grabbed her robe.
For a minute she stood admiring the sunrise and a bittersweet feeling came into her heart.
"This may be the last time this ever happens again," she whispered.
Choking on spit that had gathered in her mouth, she walked over to the mirror located in her bedroom and brushed through her curly brown hair.
Nyssa would soon be moving to Alabama to go to college for a couple of years to get her degree in counseling. Alabama was the only state that she could find that had the education at a Christian college that she wanted.
She didn't want to leave her parents home in North Carolina, but she knew that to pursue her dream, this was the step that she was going to take.
Walking into the kitchen, she peered around, trying to find her father.
All she saw was an usually set table with the nice china dishes and a candle burning in the center. Her father was nowhere to be seen, and neither was his bacon.
Walking into the living room, she didn't see anyone and she started to become worried.
"Mom?" She called out.
Looking outside in the driveway, she saw a car that she had never seen before.
Her heart started to pound. Where was everyone?
Walking back into the kitchen, she heard her mothers soft singing.
"Mom? Where were you? I just called your name a minute ago."
"Oh, I was with your father in the garage. He needed my help with something."
"In the garage...at breakfast time?" She shrugged, and walked over to the fridge and pulled out a container of orange juice.
Heading over to the table, she glanced up at mom. "Mom....there's something you aren't telling me, isn't there?"
Her mom grinned. "Maybe..."
Nyssa started to get butterflies in her stomach, and she wasn't sure if it was from nervousness or from excitement, or a bit of both.
"Just sit down, Nyssa. You'll find out soon enough."
"But I want to know! What is it? At least a hint?"
"NO! Nyssa, your father told me specifically not to give you any hints. Period. Now just wait!"
The look in Nyssa's eyes was like the look of a little girl on Christmas morning, waiting for her parents to awake so that she could open her presents.
Using observation clues, Nyssa decided to try and figure out what the surprise was.
Looking at the table, she counted...three, wait, four table spots.
"MOM!!!!!" She covered her mouth with her hands.
"It can't be...can it?!?" By that time, she couldn't sit still for a minute longer.
She ran to the garage as fast as she could, her mother right behind her.
As she approached the garage, she could hear two male voices.
She opened the garage door as fast as she could and darted as quickly as she could to her father and the other man.
She ran into the man's arms as quickly as she could. "Colton??? Is it really you?"
She gazed into his dark blue eyes, and quickly felt his arms around her.
He grinned, "I'm home for good!"
By that time, tears were rolling down Nyssa's cheeks, because she never thought that Colton would be able to come home from the military.
They walked back into the kitchen with the future as bright as the sunlight was drifting into her bedroom that morning.

Aw, this is is a beautiful story, Lauren. So sweet! I love that song as well; it's one of my favorites! I love your writing!:)
ReplyDeleteThis is so sweet. I kind of welled up a bit... :')))
ReplyDeletexoxo Morning
This is so beautiful! I nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award! My post is here (http://bethanysbrightlife.blogspot.com/).-Bethany!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a beautiful story the last line is perfect. I love that Taylor Swift song! Your blog design is amazing so cool. If you have a spare moment please checkout my blog and give me any tips or advice you may have maybe even a follow, don't worry if not xx
ReplyDeleteAnother Teen On The Web
Lauren, all your stories are really great. I like that song too! Your blog is amazing and I really hope you keep it going girl!
ReplyDelete-Katie